Hunters and Gatherers

dydimustk

Feb 4, 2008, 6:53:34 PM2/4/08
to Coworking
I was reading this post [1] which linked to this article [2] which
made me think about this group. You have to register to read it =( So,
I'll post a little teaser here:

================
The Hunter Gatherers of the Knowledge Economy: The Anthropology of
Today's Cyberforagers
By David Berreby

Are the habits of today's knowledge workers unique in history?
Actually, the Gen X style of working appears to be the oldest on
earth.

They want to come and go as they please, wear what they like, work the
hours that suit them - and not too many, thank you - because they
value a balanced life more than piling up possessions. They want to
work in small groups and be a part of every decision. Direct orders
set their teeth on edge. You must explain why you want them to do
something or, better, show them by example. You earn their respect by
doing what they do.

For many employers, especially in knowledge-based companies, this is
the profile of the new generation of American professionals. Smart
enough, yes, and able, but what a pain in the neck....

[1] http://notanmba.com/blog/2008/02/note-to-self-nomads-of-the-world-disperse
[2] http://www.strategy-business.com/press/article/19461?pg=0