Sound Isolation

Adolfo Taylhardat

Aug 21, 2017, 12:22:47 PM8/21/17
to Coworking
Hi all,
I would say that one of our major challenges has been sound isolation (even between private offices)  and I am looking for innovative, cost-effective, visually pleasant solutions. Any recommendations/suggestions/opinions? Adolfo

Jerome Chang

Aug 21, 2017, 8:35:53 PM8/21/17
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Hi.

For your offices, do your walls go to the roof or the above floor structure? If not, add batten insulation (that pink stuff w/ foil) above the ceiling, especially if your ceiling is “ACT”, or acoustical ceiling tile.

Keep in mind that sometimes you don’t want to isolate sound as that will deaden the sound too much.
Maybe you want just to shape the reverberation?

talk to us: (323) 330-9505

WEST: Santa Monica | 1450 2nd St (@Broadway)
CENTRAL: Mid-Wilshire | 5405 Wilshire Blvd (2 blocks west of La Brea)
EAST: Downtown | 529 S. Broadway, Ste 4000 (@Pershing Square)

On Aug 21, 2017, at 9:21 AM, Adolfo Taylhardat <atayl...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi all,
I would say that one of our major challenges has been sound isolation (even between private offices)  and I am looking for innovative, cost-effective, visually pleasant solutions. Any recommendations/suggestions/opinions? Adolfo

Adolfo Taylhardat

Aug 25, 2017, 10:51:29 AM8/25/17
to Coworking
Thank you Jerome, we have started to look at these materials.
Found soundproofcow.com with interesting options.
Best.
Adolfo

Alex Hillman

Aug 25, 2017, 10:56:49 AM8/25/17
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
I can't remember who turned me on to soundproofcow.com, but their stuff is good and reasonably priced, and their team is pretty knowledgeable without being salesy too.

Do your phone rooms share ductwork/ventilation? I've noticed that ours transmit the most of the noise between the spaces, and haven't found a good solution for that yet...maybe something in the ducts themselves, or over the vents?

-Alex

Jerome Chang

Aug 25, 2017, 11:26:20 AM8/25/17
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Yes. A damper inside the duct should help.
Do you have a return duct or is that shared as well?

Jerome

Alex Hillman

Aug 28, 2017, 12:17:17 PM8/28/17
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Yup there's a separate return duct for each phone room.

------------------
The #1 mistake in community building is doing it by yourself.
Better Coworkers: http://indyhall.org
Weekly Coworking Tips: http://coworkingweekly.com

Jerome Chang

Aug 28, 2017, 12:36:59 PM8/28/17
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Kudos. Very rare from what I've seen in many other spaces.

Aside from the internal damper, try adding an acoustical blanket (that pink and foil stuff) across both ceilings. Ideally you would've installed that inside the walls as well...

Jerome

Alex Hillman

Aug 28, 2017, 12:57:44 PM8/28/17
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Yep, we have acoustical materials inside the walls as well - do you have a favorite/preferred material or product for the internal dampening, without blowing a ton of $$?

-Alex

------------------
The #1 mistake in community building is doing it by yourself.
Better Coworkers: http://indyhall.org
Weekly Coworking Tips: http://coworkingweekly.com

Jerome Chang

Aug 28, 2017, 1:38:50 PM8/28/17
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
I don't think there are many choices for internal dampening inside the duct. The dampener is more metal than any soft material.

You could try adding homasote to the walls of one space.

Jerome

Alex Hillman

Aug 28, 2017, 1:46:11 PM8/28/17
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Oh, we have a physical metal dampener inside the duct. Sound still travels between them, and most of the time it seems that it's coming through the shared ductwork, though it really depends on the person, the tone/volume of their voice, etc.

The rooms are well padded internally, have carpet tiles on the floor, soft chairs and artwork to help reduce echo. But it seems like the ductwork still funnels it up for some people!

The #1 mistake in community building is doing it by yourself.
Better Coworkers: http://indyhall.org
Weekly Coworking Tips: http://coworkingweekly.com

Jerome Chang

Aug 28, 2017, 2:00:16 PM8/28/17
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
At the end of the day, these are phone rooms - not soundproof recording studios. So you're probably at the point of diminishing returns for what you can "fix".

Jerome