Unlocking Marketing Data for Independent Coworking Spaces. $50 to fund and get the data.

Craig Baute - Creative Density Coworking

Jun 26, 2017, 10:09:01 AM6/26/17
to Coworking
Hey everyone,

I'm excited to announce that I have finally launched an Indiegogo campaign answering the question that effects all of us - how can we use Facebook to attract more members?
We are asking people to contribute $50 to get the raw data. The goal is only $1000 with stretch goals beyond $3000 where we then will test out other networks and let the campaign run even longer.

We are raising funds to run indie coworking's first long-term ad campaign on Facebook. The goal is to know what type of ads work, which headlines, pictures, text, placement, etc. We will then share all of the information with people that support the campaign.

All of the funds raised go to the campaign.

We will test 3 strategies:

Three different strategies to focus on:
  • In-Tangibles of Coworking - Community, work/life balance, collaboration, etc.
  • Amenities (the physical benefits) - Standing desks, monitors, beer, local coffee, meeting rooms, etc.
  • Promotions - Discounts on your first month, extra free days, bulk pricing.

We'll learn what works and lowers your marketing costs

This data will shine light on coworking ad strategies and give us insight to drive more tours at lower rates.

Doing this the coworking way.

I'm excited to run this campaign and with everyone's support share the data. I truly believe this will help all us run our spaces at lower costs and build up stronger communities.

Once again, here is the link, https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/coworking-marketing-data-for-independent-spaces-advertising/x/10052655

Tony Bacigalupo

Jun 27, 2017, 5:33:35 PM6/27/17
to coworking
Super neat, Craig! Clever way to compile data for independent space owners. Looking forward to seeing how the experiment goes for you and your supporters!

Tony

Craig Baute - Creative Density Coworking

Jun 28, 2017, 2:13:19 PM6/28/17
to Coworking
Thanks Tony.

We are 68% way to our goal already. We are starting to work on the ads and the strategy. We have Adespresso as our partners to optimize the ads so we get the best results possible.

If you are a coworking space owner I know the $50 price tag might be holding you back, but I promise you this will give you some really valuable info and save you a lot of money in wasted advertising.

If you have any questions please feel free to shoot me a message.

Check out the campaign:

Angel Kwiatkowski

Jun 29, 2017, 6:44:05 PM6/29/17
to Coworking
Craig, can you shed more light on the strategy?  I'm always in favor of trying to crack Facebook's facade and

I have a bazillion questions.

What will you be trying to get people to click on? Are you pointing them to general stuff like coworking.com or to your space specifically or to some other thing?
Where are you starting in terms of targeting? Location? Age? Interests?
What are you focusing on? Getting them to click on coworking websites, events?

I just need so much more data...before you collect the other data.

Angel

aaronwh...@me.com

Jun 30, 2017, 7:58:41 AM6/30/17
to Coworking
Thanks Craig - great concept - I've put a few more dollars into the kitty.

I'm a new owner of two indy sites here in Columbus Ohio.  We are small footprint, economically priced, neighborhood places with a long history in the market that has now become very competitive.  Like others, I am searching for insights on how to communicate the unique organic qualities of "true" coworking communities in a marketplace increasing occupied for larger "national" competitors using some of the same language we do.

One area that I'd like insight on is the inherent market segmentation that I feel comparing members drawn to smaller sites versus those that go to the nationals.  I personally find that the draw is different - more focus on destination addresses, glitzy amenities and perceived value of adjacency to teams (for example someone saying "its cool because I work close to the Columbus team from [fill in the Silicon Valley startup] at [fill in national office share player]".

My null hypothesis is that members drawn to our smaller, independent communities are different and will respond to different messaging.

Thanks for the focus on this interesting topic - one thats important to those of us who watch every marketing dollar carefully!

Cheers!  Aaron from Saltmines

Craig Baute - Creative Density Coworking

Jun 30, 2017, 4:07:01 PM6/30/17
to Coworking
Hey Aaron,

Thanks for the contribution. I saw it come through this morning. We are now up to 78% of our goal!  High-five!

Thanks for the feedback. I have actually been keeping an eye on the Columbus market the last few years and always hoped more spaces would open up in Columbus like Salt Mines. Columbus is a bit bigger than Denver and hasn't moved in terms of number of spaces until the last 18 months or so. I'm glad to see that Salt Mines bumped it up to tow locations. Creative Density did a similar move three years.

Thanks again for the support.

Craig Baute - Creative Density Coworking

Jul 3, 2017, 1:28:13 PM7/3/17
to Coworking
Angel,

Thanks for your questions.

The ad campaign will be focused on a local coworking space. We don't want this to be a general coworking awareness because I don't think that will be as helpful as learning the strategies that work best for local coworking communities. Coworking in general is being promoted through traditional media and word of mouth. We really want to know what works at a local level. The first month will be focused on promoting Creative Density in Denver. After that, if we have additional funds we will rotate it to a different coworking space in a different city. New ads will tested with new strategies while retaining some of the old strategies so we collect even more data.

Targeting: It will be city specific. Since the average travel time is less than 18 minutes for a member to a space we want to keep it relevant.  We will also test some hyper local ones of only the surrounding zip code that is within a mile 5 minute.

Focus: The focus is to really just see what they click one. Once they are in the door it will be up to the coworking space to convert them. Different ad strategies will have different landing pages. The most common two will be a landing page pushing for a free day and the other being the main home page of the coworking space. If we write an ad that has a specific angel then we will build a page based on  that.

Craig Baute - Creative Density Coworking

Jul 3, 2017, 6:31:20 PM7/3/17
to Coworking
We just reached our goal of $1000 and we are moving past it. This is really going to happen and unlock a lot of valuable data for our independent coworking spaces.

We still have two weeks left. Let's keep the momentum going so we can become better marketers in the coworking world and get the word out about our awesome communities.

Stretch goals:

$2000+ will let us hand the camapgin over to a second space in a different to test out strategies. This will provide us with even more data and give us more confidence on running out own campaigns.
$3000 will let us experiment different coworking ads that are a bit more out there compared to Facebook. I am open to ideas but right now they include ads with Snapchat at popular coffee shops nearby, experimental Google Adword campaigns with search and Google Maps, Instagram stories, etc. The ideas will be a group project.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Craig Baute - Creative Density Coworking

Jul 7, 2017, 6:43:24 PM7/7/17
to Coworking
We have 10 days left and we are over 130% funded! If we raise $700 more then we can run the campaign for 60 days between two spaces providing us with even more data.

We have a discount for regional alliances. If you are part of a city or state coworking alliance please reach out to learn more.

Craig Baute - Creative Density Coworking

Jul 13, 2017, 3:45:50 PM7/13/17
to Coworking
We are down to the last 4 days with an ending this coming Monday.  We have raised $1495 so far. If we raised over $2000 then we'll have this campaign going for two months.

Alex Hillman

Jul 13, 2017, 3:58:15 PM7/13/17
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
I backed this because, so far, all of my experience with Facebook has been like shooting in the dark.  Super stoked to see what Craig learns and is able to share with us.

-Alex

The #1 mistake in community building is doing it by yourself.
Better Coworkers: http://indyhall.org
Weekly Coworking Tips: http://coworkingweekly.com

On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 3:45 PM, Craig Baute - Creative Density Coworking <bau...@gmail.com> wrote:
We are down to the last 4 days with an ending this coming Monday.  We have raised $1495 so far. If we raised over $2000 then we'll have this campaign going for two months.

Message has been deleted