Coworking in San Diego

Carolyn Cirillo

Dec 22, 2016, 12:33:08 AM12/22/16
to Coworking
I saw some interesting communities on a recent tour of coworking spaces in San Diego, CA and thought I'd share my observations with the group:

Carolyn Cirillo
Brooklyn, NY

Alex Hillman

Dec 22, 2016, 9:29:31 AM12/22/16
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Especially as a contrast to a lot of the listicles that I see, I REALLY like this format Carolyn! More details than features and amenities, I started to get a sense of the reason each space might be a fit (or not) for diff people.

Curious: how long did you stay at each space? Did you just take a tour, or actually work for a day or two? Any contact with members, or mostly staff?

I would be especially curious how a compare/contrast looks between the first impression and the lasting impressions.

Last question: you mentioned you yourself were shopping around. Where did YOU end up choosing, and why?

-Alex

Alex Hillman
Sent from Polymail

---

Carolyn Cirillo

Jan 4, 2017, 3:57:27 PM1/4/17
to Coworking
Hi Alex,

Glad you liked the article and format. To answer your questions:

I actually just toured each space with a staff person. I had a conversation with some members at the Hera Hub space but not at the others. My schedule didn't permit a trial day, though that could have been arranged. Since I was there a brief time, I wouldn't say there was a significant difference from first and last impression. Exception would probably be the Hera Hub. As I mentioned in the article, I found the concept a bit off-putting initially, but after my tour, I was ready to plunk down with my laptop.

I was only visiting San Diego so I was not in the market for space for myself. Just wanted to poke around a bit and share my findings with the group. If you'd like to read more about my experience finding the right fit for me in Brooklyn, I write about it here: http://bit.ly/2aT3nWw.

Thanks again for your interest! I'd love to hear about your experience searching for space.
Carolyn

Alex Hillman

Jan 4, 2017, 9:01:41 PM1/4/17
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Cool, Carolyn!

I would love to start reading more "deep reviews" from people who immerse themselves in a Coworking space, writing about the lasting impressions and how they stack up to the first impression.

I would also love to hear more from the member perspective about how their coworking space fit into their lives. Less "the space is awesome" and more "here's how I became more awesome after joining."

I've only read a handful of accounts like this - and almost always as part of an article or other piece of media. One recent example is this podcast from one of our local designer communities has interviewed a number of our members, and it's always interesting and insightful to hear how people talk about Indy Hall when it's not me or my team asking the questions.

The interviewee starts talking about his Indy Hall experience at around 22:30...but the entire interview is a lot of fun and VERY insightful so I'd listen to the whole thing if you can make time!

-Alex

Alex Hillman
Sent from Polymail