Launching Classes. This is the start and will update on progress and model

Craig Baute - Creative Density Coworking

Apr 19, 2012, 1:18:59 PM4/19/12
to Coworking
After attending the GCUC last month I set the goal to get this
education series called Creative Density University (CDU),
www.densitycoworking.com/classes/ , going and we are hosting our first
class on May 8th. This is an important step to making Creative Density
a hub of ideas for Denver beyond a destination for coworking, Meetups,
and social gathers for the independent community. I would first like
to thank PariSoma for sharing some many details about their successful
program that launched in Sept. 2011. I also closely studied General
Assembly in NY.

Overview of CDU:

The need: Freelancers and startups often are very talented in two or
three areas but have to wear many additional hats and don't have the
time to learn news skills. They also want to continually improve their
skills they have already acquired but many current offerings are
expense and time consuming.

What we are trying to do: Be a continued education platform
(intermediate to advanced skill level) in the areas of business and
technology. We have made the assumption that many coworkers and
creative professionals have already taught themselves the basics
through online tutorials and blogs and we don't need to start at
square one.

Format: $30 / 90 min sessions in a classroom size of 15 people. Each
instructor needs to have a Q+A time and one takeaway for the students.
The 90 min. format is based on survey results asking what members and
the others in the community would like and 90 mins won out because
people are often busy between family and work. All of the the classes
will start at 6PM at launch. Members will be able to attend the
classes for $25.

Instructors: We have aligned with CU-Boulder professors in
entrepreneurship, lawyers, people that work for Automattic, and
successful entrepreneurs in the area to teach. They have all been
vetted to ensure quality and I will request feedback from students
after each class. The instructors are also the best paid for a 90 min.
course.

Getting the word out: I built up a coalition of local business leaders
and city departments to promote the classes in newsletters. Overall,
the announcement will go out to over 5,000 people in Denver. The
instructors are encouraging their clients to join and the coworking
members are pretty excited about the offerings and sharing it. CD is
will also have a booth at the Create Denver convention to promote it.

What amenities we provide: We have a large room that will turn from
coworking during the day to a classroom in the evening with a total of
15 spots in 4 rows. Projector, screen, whiteboard.

Staffing: I will sit in the classes the first or second time an
instructor presents to make sure they are comfortable with
everything. After that if there is a class that a member wants to
take I will let them take my role with checking people in and setting
up the projector while getting a chance to attend the class for free.

Launched: We are launching with over a dozen classes in 6 weeks. This
may be a bit ambitious and I will share this experience with you.

I will continue to share my experiences with everyone about this
launch. It seems like many more coworking spaces are interested in
offering this to the coworking community and their city. If you have
any advice please feel free to share them.

Craig
Creative Density

Alex Hillman

Apr 19, 2012, 1:30:24 PM4/19/12
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
This is great Craig, very cool insight into your goals and plans.

How does your space accommodate these classes? Are you using conference room space for these classes or something else?

-Alex

--
/ah
coworking in philadelphia

Angel Kwiatkowski

Apr 19, 2012, 6:34:51 PM4/19/12
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Alex--from above "What amenities we provide: We have a large room that will turn from

coworking during the day to a classroom in the evening with a total of
15 spots in 4 rows. Projector, screen, whiteboard."

Maybe that makes sense to me b/c I've been there before but it's not a dedicated conference room.
Angel

Alex Hillman

Apr 20, 2012, 7:46:54 AM4/20/12
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Of course, my eyes skipped right over that :) thanks Angel.

-Alex

--
/ah
indyhall.org

Gretchen Baisa

Apr 20, 2012, 9:42:49 AM4/20/12
to Coworking
Hey Craig -

Giving you a high five for really jumping on setting up the classes
(GCUC was just a minute ago!!) and particularly on some stellar
community outreach about the program. Keep us posted and
congratulations!

-Gretchen
NextSpace San Jose

On Apr 19, 10:18 am, Craig Baute - Creative Density Coworking
<baut...@gmail.com> wrote:
> After attending the GCUC last month I set the goal to get this
> education series called Creative Density University (CDU),www.densitycoworking.com/classes/, going and we are hosting our first

Toni Hogan

Apr 20, 2012, 11:03:55 AM4/20/12
to Coworking
Craig,

This is exactly the angle we're taking. We're promoting our space as a
community coworking and business resource center. We want most of our
classes to be free so we are partnering with local business
development programs who already have funding and programs in place. I
am also creating a program for new real estate agents. That one will
have a fee associated with it but will be priced like one of our
membership plans and include benefits of membership.

There are many opportunities for coworking that will enhance but not
take away from the true experience of community. I am hoping that when/
if we teach prospecting to agents they will go to a workspace or phone
room after the class and practice what they've learned. I say IF
because my focus is really on the business side of real estate
practice. There are a million classes for prospecting...but we'll see.

Wishing you the best and looking forward to "hearing" more about CDU!

Toni

On Apr 19, 12:18 pm, Craig Baute - Creative Density Coworking
<baut...@gmail.com> wrote:
> After attending the GCUC last month I set the goal to get this
> education series called Creative Density University (CDU),www.densitycoworking.com/classes/, going and we are hosting our first

Craig Baute - Creative Density Coworking

Apr 20, 2012, 12:47:00 PM4/20/12
to Coworking
Thanks for the kind words Toni. I decided not to partner with existing
programs, like the chamber of commerce, because they generally serve
new businesses with the basics of starting a business, 101 style of
courses. We didn't want to be that and wanted to take it up to 200 to
300 level (to keep with the University language). I noticed most of
the offerings in Denver serve the low end (free or affordable) to the
very technical and high-leve courses for hundreds of dollars and days
at a time. I wanted to serve right in that middle that would help
most of the coworkers continue their education or expand it beyond the
basics. I was able to find to quality instructors (very important to
me) that shared my vision and so I set up a plan to share revenue more
generously than other venues.

The classes are not free for a reason. If the courses are paid for
then there isan accountability of quality on the instructor side and
allows for me to figuratively slap them if they try to make it a sales
pitch. There are plenty of free venues to learn stuff with Meetups and
they vary in quality, and the revenue allows me to spend money to
ensure a level of quality. It also helps Creative Density sustain
itself and keep te coworking movement alive in Denver.

Craig

Toni Hogan

Apr 20, 2012, 12:49:48 PM4/20/12
to Coworking
Most definitely. We will have other offerings as well. However,
because of our location we will provide services to the community-at-
large. Our membership materials do state that some class offerings
will be fee-based. :-)

TH

On Apr 20, 11:47 am, Craig Baute - Creative Density Coworking

Chad Ballantyne

Apr 20, 2012, 1:19:16 PM4/20/12
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
The combination of coworking space and business Centre is great!  Makes sense.
We've launched our Small Business Success Workshops focusing on that middle ground as Craig calls it.  www.thecreativespace.ca/sbs
We are also providing similar classes as the Chamber or other city/government funded business support centres, but we are filling a major gap as we see it!
The 3 main differentiators are:
1. Our classes are styled to be uber practical offering more hands on learning, interaction, Q&A, tools and tips while the other guys offer pamphlets.(we've heard around town how the other classes put on by the chamber or city funded resource centres are lame)
2. Doing it our Space inspires the "pre-members" ;o) towards coworking and being introduced to businesses at their level or higher.
3. The speakers are mostly members or affiliates and have agreed to be "along-the-way" mentors. The attendees can book a follow up meeting with them if Q&A doesn't cover all their questions. (just one for now - but we're working on a mentorship program for those that want more access to consultation)

We did a Blogathon last weekend as part of our Small Business Success extra-ciriuclar events and have a new member already!

We'll share more as they roll out.

Chad

  We offer discounts for TCS members.

Chad Ballantyne
The Creative Space Director

Toni Hogan

Apr 20, 2012, 2:03:15 PM4/20/12
to Coworking
hehe @ "LAME!" We're going to give them a try starting up, but I have
no problem "firing" ineffectiveness. :-)

TH
> > For more options, visit this group athttp://groups.google.com/group/coworking?hl=en.

Cheryl Jaycox

Apr 22, 2012, 12:04:18 AM4/22/12
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Chad,
Would love to hear more about the mentorship programs. Would like to implament a program like that here.
CJay

--
Cheryl Jaycox
Community Manager

Susan Evans

Apr 23, 2012, 11:36:58 AM4/23/12
to cowo...@googlegroups.com
Craig just wanted to send out an additional thanks to you for sending out this great information! We've been considering something very similar, and hope to be able to follow in your fine footsteps sometime very soon. Please continue to share your progress, and let us know if you hit any stumbling blocks or find some really awesome traction.

Good luck and thanks again!

Susan
__
Office Nomads