Another Coworking / Childcare Business in the Planning Stage...

Deb

Nov 19, 2012, 5:21:56 PM11/19/12
to coworking-a...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone!

I'm working on bringing coworking and childcare to New Jersey and found this google group from, well, lots of googling.  It's nice to meet you all!  I'm sure I have a similar story as all of you. I came up with the idea after my daughter was born in 2010, and I was commuting full time.  I dreamed of being able to work somewhere, and still be able to nurse her.  Once baby #2 came along, I realized I could no longer sacrifice seeing my kids by working 12 hour days, so I left my job and am now trying to make this coworking / childcare dream a reality!

I'm so happy to have found this group, and am excited to read through all the past posts to gain valuable insight into what's worked, and what hasn't.  (I found two failed attempts - Cubes & Crayons and TwoRooms - anyone know why those didn't succeed?)

I'd also be interested in speaking with anyone willing to share their experiences with starting up this type of business...

Looking forward to getting to know all of you!

Best,
Deborah

Aliza Torok Schlabach

Nov 19, 2012, 5:23:34 PM11/19/12
to coworking-a...@googlegroups.com
Hi Deborah,

Welcome to the group! Where in Jersey are you? I'm originally from Holmdel New Jersey, and I'm working on opening a space west of Philadelphia.

Aliza

--
Aliza Schlabach
Founder

Marieke Hensel

Nov 19, 2012, 5:36:25 PM11/19/12
to coworking-a...@googlegroups.com
Welcome Deborah!
The owner of Cubes & Crayons moved to a different location. I think she tried to sell it. But I guess didn't have anyone taking over.

I run a space in Fullerton, California. I'm opening up in January, although I am doing some trial runs before that. Yesterday we had our first event, a movie screening for the Education Revolution Meetup group. We had 7 kids attending.

I just finished the text for the brochure, and received great feedback yesterday. So now I am revamping our website.I have been running a coworking space for 4 years, just now we are opening up for childcare: after school classes, homeschool classes and on-site daycare.

We are not licensed, and we cant get licensed, because we dont have an outside area. So I'm finding the loopholes.

:-)
Marieke

--
Marieke Hensel
http://twitter.com/hensel

1-877-747-FAME (3263)

Orange you ready to improve your sales? Receive Branding Personality's newsletter full of juicy social media news, events, and special offers. http://eepurl.com/o19nP

Deborah Engel

Nov 19, 2012, 5:46:42 PM11/19/12
to coworking-a...@googlegroups.com
Hi Aliza & Marieke,

Thanks for responding to me so quickly!

I'm in Northern Jersey - in Essex County.  I'm hoping to open a center that can fulfill a lot of needs I think we have in our community.  As I mentioned, I'm in the planning stages - I'm currently working on a plan, meeting with focus groups and about to start looking at spaces to get an idea for costs.

My biggest challenge is going to be the daycare portion, as I don't have experience there.  I'm hoping to partner with someone who does.  I'd love to hear how everyone is handling that aspect - I think I saw some posts about it; I will catch myself up.

Best,
Deborah

Aliza Torok Schlabach

Jessie Rymph

Nov 19, 2012, 5:59:46 PM11/19/12
to Coworking and childcare
Hello! Childcare is a huge challenge. The first thing I'd do is find out if you need to be licensed by reading up on early learning requirements in New Jersey and then meeting with licensors. Becoming licensed in Washington is a huge struggle, but on the plus side, you can read about in The Economist. I have been able to figure out most of the crazy codes myself, and once I've finally settled on a space, I will have to hire the childcare provider to set up the space and the program.
Look at Plug and Play in Austin, The Bean in Georgia, and The Third Door in London!
--Jessie
elliescoworking.com
--
Ellie's Coworking & Childcare
ElliesCoworking.com

Marneechua Chua

Nov 19, 2012, 6:01:02 PM11/19/12
to coworking-a...@googlegroups.com
Welcome to the group Deborah!

I'm with Jessie Rymph at Ellie's Coworking + Childcare in Seattle. I think the main thing that you'll find is that many of us are in the same boat - the childcare is the hardest part, but the most needed! Jessie and I have just moved locations in order to better accommodate a future childcare space, but even then, we are still going to have some pretty big hurtles to overcome!

We are planning on getting the space ready and then hiring a daycare program director to run that part of it for us, as neither of us have the background in childcare.

Marnee

Sent from my iPad

Elizabeth Officreche

Nov 20, 2012, 7:55:05 AM11/20/12
to coworking-a...@googlegroups.com
Welcome from me too!

I second all that has been said about the childcare side of it - we (www.officreche.com, a space in Brighton, 1 hr from London on the South Coast of the UK) have been incredibly lucky to find a degree educated manager to run the childcare side of the business. I'm not sure what childcare practice is like in the US, but in the UK, flexibility is incredibly hard to come by - mostly because of the challenges that childcare professionals face in providing it. However, it is obvious that there is a market for flexibility, especially in times of economic hardship, only having to pay for the childcare that you need really helps modern families to budget.

My advice would be to look for a childcare professional who has initiative and vision and guts - and utilise their experience of traditional childcare and how your model will differ. They should be a shortcut to understanding your local legislation/licensing and the issues involved as well. I would recommend going to a university or college and finding a graduate, or someone who could consult on the theory as well as the practice - even if you don't hire them fulltime.

Both my manager and my deputy did their dissertations in flexibility in childcare (partly out of interest and partly because they were working at Officreche so in the middle of putting research into practice) and so have been absolutely invaluable in making Officreche a working reality and helping local families.

Apologies if I am telling you something you already know - just trying to contribute by sharing a few things that I'd have like to have known up front! We've been open more than a year now and the figures are beginning to stack up - but only because we are offering the option of flexible childcare on its own, not only combined with the office space.

Good luck to you all, thanks for posting on this google group

Elizabeth

Deborah Engel

Nov 20, 2012, 5:45:46 PM11/20/12
to coworking-a...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, everyone, for your advice and welcoming nature!

I've looked into the New Jersey licensing requirements, and it is so much info and fine print, that it seemed the best course of action is to find someone well versed in the law.  I hadn't thought about contacting the local universities - thanks, Elizabeth, for the suggestion.  I have thought about potentially partnering with an existing daycare franchise/company.  Has anyone already looked into that approach?

It's been interesting to read about the loopholes you all are finding.  I have to read up on New Jersey law further to see if there are any I can use.

As for the age group...  I've been thinking this center (which I'm calling Work & Play) would be for kids 6 weeks - 5 yrs old.  But I've been wondering if I should age up further.  I'm going to start talking to local parents with Elementary aged kids.  What ages are you all planning to accommodate?

Marieke Hensel

Nov 20, 2012, 6:34:52 PM11/20/12
to coworking-a...@googlegroups.com
I'm now to serving ages 2-14.

* After school enrichment 5-14 yo
* Homeschool classes 5-14 yo
* On-site daycare 5-14yo

Our space is called Cowork+Play. So name is close. :-)

We had about 10 kids try it out over the past week, and about 20 parents come in, and so far really good feedback. I am changing our website over from promoting only coworking to promote our new kids area & classes.

I just had a meeting with a homeschool center who is interested in using our space starting in January. Very excited about that!

:-)
Marieke

--
Marieke Hensel
http://twitter.com/hensel

1-877-747-FAME (3263)

Orange you ready to improve your sales? Receive Branding Personality's newsletter full of juicy social media news, events, and special offers. http://eepurl.com/o19nP

letters...@hotmail.com

Feb 11, 2013, 12:08:11 AM2/11/13
to coworking-a...@googlegroups.com
Hi Everyone:
It looks like its been a while since the last post, but I thought I'd try my luck anyway.  I've recently been researching the concept of coworking/childcare facilities and have read a lot about Bean Work/Play Cafe in Atlanta, and was pleased to see there are so many others doing this work!  I have been a work from home mom for the last four years and ironically, work as an early childhood consultant.  It has been interesting to see most of you write about the struggles you've had with the child care component of this work.  Right now I am a consultant with the National Association for the Education of Young Children which is headquartered in DC, although I work out of my home in Pennsylvania.  I travel mostly in the mid-atlantic and am very well-versed in national standards and many state's licensing requirements.  Although the concept of a coworking center is a bit away (I feel) in my community, I'd love to chat more with some of you that are in the planning stages about how to go about the child care aspect of your business model.  I think this work is so important, as I have often struggled with how to find a work-life balance, and so to be able to provide this service to a community of parents who are also looking for this balance is so important!

Looking forward to chatting!

Lisa

Deborah Engel

Feb 11, 2013, 12:12:42 AM2/11/13
to coworking-a...@googlegroups.com
Hi Lisa!

Thanks for writing!  I would love to chat with you about child care in NJ, if you are familiar with the local requirements.  Feel free to reach out to me directly.

Best,
Deborah
Work and Play (NJ)

Sent from my iPhone

Aliza Torok Schlabach

Feb 11, 2013, 10:12:02 AM2/11/13
to coworking-a...@googlegroups.com
Hi Lisa,

Welcome to the group! May I ask where in Pennsylvania you're based out of? I'm working on finding a space around Philly/Conshohocken/Manayunk/The Main Line

I have a fantastic childcare advisor who has been wonderful - for me the biggest challenge has been in finding an appropriate building and closing the deal on a lease.

And yes, this group has been somewhat quiet lately. How have all of you been doing??  :-)

Marnee Chua

Feb 11, 2013, 12:14:52 PM2/11/13
to coworking-a...@googlegroups.com
Hi Lisa,
Welcome to the group! I think many of us have been digging our heels in to the childcare process and have not been posting. But it is a good reminder to update folks. I'm sure that Jessie and I would also love to talk with you (maybe Skype?) or maybe we could set up a group phone call again, we haven't done that in a while and if we had you on there it might be a really nice way to get back in touch while gleaning some valuable insight into the childcare world.

For a quick update on Ellie's: We've decided to go with two brands - a work space brand and a childcare brand. Our intention was to still house them in the same building, but physically separated by at least a hallway or even a story. So we now have our coworking office space running: Works Progress (https://www.facebook.com/worksprogressseattle, new website underway) and we have done completely different branding for it. We opened Works Progress in December. We had hoped to lease an open suite in the same building for Ellie's Coworking + Childcare, which would have been childcare space exclusively for coworking parents and the rate package to be all inclusive. However, even though we ran the building by fire department officials and the Washington Licensing folks, we have just been told by the City permitting office that the building type is not going to be licenseable (it's a word now!). This is extremely frustrating for us, but we are hoping to be able to find a space within a few blocks that will be the separate childcare space. Hopefully that will mean that we can find a space that will need less work and be able to host more children of different age groups. So we are back to looking for a new space for that side of our business.

Looking forward to hearing more updates from everyone!

Marnee

Marnee Chua
Works Progress
Ellie's Coworking + Childcare

"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams" - Eleanor Roosevelt

Paz Chentnik

Jul 5, 2014, 2:54:54 AM7/5/14
to coworking-a...@googlegroups.com
Hello! I know that this thread is a bit old...but I wanted to see if anyone would be interested in having a Skype call? I am currently in the process of opening a co-working + childcare in Amsterdam. We have been struggling a bit with the management of the two spaces and the finances. It seems that many of these have closed and I am curious as to what we can do to minimize our risk.

Thank you!