Re: Digest for coworking-and-childcare@googlegroups.com - 3 updates in 1 topic

Diana Rothschild

Apr 24, 2015, 2:15:03 AM4/24/15
to coworking-a...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I founded NextKids in San Francisco, part of NextSpace, and I'm now the CEO of NextSpace. I'll be at GCUC and would love to meet you in person, Melissa, and anyone else in this group (maybe text or email me to organize!). Maybe we can all share unconference time or a meal together! And NextKids is on the tour route during the event so please check us out that way too.

Best, Diana Rothschild
415.577.0562

Sent from my iPhone
Tiffany Frye <tiffany...@gmail.com>: Apr 22 05:36PM -0700

Hi! It's so nice to hear about the progress that's being made in other
corners of the country. I love the idea of pop-up coworking!

I'm in Durham, North Carolina and we are opening up our coworking and
childcare space in our first non-residential location in June. I say
"non-residential" because we've been operating out of my house since last
fall. The way we've worked is all parents chip in about 25% of their time
doing childcare, and they get the rest of the time to spend in the
coworking space while other parents are watching their kiddos. I set up two
rooms in my house as Montessori-style learning environments and turned our
living room into a coworking space. This has been a great way to start if
anyone is looking for a route in without much overhead.

The response has been great, and there are some limitations to having it
operate in my house, so that's why we've decided to move to a larger
location. With this move, we are also becoming an actual business - we've
been more of a 'club' up to this point - and we are hiring teachers. This
means our price point jumps from being a suggested donation to being in
line with other high-quality daycares around the area. We're able to keep
the cost down a tiny bit by having parents serve as classroom assistants
and pitch in with other space maintenance and admin tasks. It will be
really interesting to see how it all shakes out. Adding the cooperative
layer on to a business complicates things, but I think it will make our
community stronger in the long run.

I won't be making it to GCUC b/c we've got too much on our plates to get
ready for our June 15 launch date. I hope to attend next year!

On Sunday, February 22, 2015 at 1:04:39 PM UTC-5, Stepfanie Cuevas wrote:
Melissa Tapper Goldman <melissatap...@gmail.com>: Apr 22 08:39PM -0400

Thank you for the update, Tiffany. That sounds fantastic! Congratulations
on taking the next step.

I will be at GCUC. Anybody else from this group? I hope we can meet each
other!

Best,
Melissa

On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 8:36 PM, Tiffany Frye <tiffany...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Tiffany Frye <tiffany...@gmail.com>: Apr 22 08:40PM -0400

Thanks, Melissa!

On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 8:39 PM, Melissa Tapper Goldman <

--
Tiffany Frye
nido durham

Marnee Chua

Apr 24, 2015, 1:50:27 PM4/24/15
to coworking-a...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Diana! Now I really wish I was going to the GCUC, but hopefully I'll catch you sometime soon. Congratulations on your new position with in NextSpace!

Marnee

Marnee Chua
Works Progress
Ellie's Coworking + Childcare

Razili Datta

May 7, 2015, 1:30:13 AM5/7/15
to coworking-a...@googlegroups.com
Hi Diana,

I'm at GCUC for the first time and loving every minute of it! Thanks to you and NextSpace for your role in putting on such a fabulous event.

I'm exploring options and ideas for coworking + childcare in Toronto. I'm unfortunately unable to attend the tour of NextKids due to a flight out Friday afternoon. I would absolutely love to connect over lunch or an unconference or whatever works. I'll look for you tomorrow!

All the best,
Razili

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it send an email to coworking-and-childcare+unsub...@googlegroups.com.