Moving from a Web Service to Couchbase

Federico Hernandez

Dec 29, 2014, 3:24:35 PM12/29/14
to couc...@googlegroups.com
Hi everybody,

We have a product which involves a mobile application, a web application and a web service. The mobile and web apps retrieved the data from the web service. We needed to implement the offline feature in the mobile app, so we decided to move to Couchbase. So now, the mobile app makes every request to the Couchbase Lite and synchronizes the data through the Sync Manager to the remote database. To do so, we had to move some business logic to the mobile app. However, the web app still uses the web service.

Now, our doubt is that if we wanted to add a new business rule (a new functionality) to the web service, we should replicate the functionality in the mobile app, or if we had to add a business rule in the mobile app, we should replicate the functionality in the web service. Is there a better way to do that to avoid replicating code?

Thanks in advance,

Chris Voisey

Dec 30, 2014, 2:19:04 PM12/30/14
to couc...@googlegroups.com
This is a great question and something I haven't seen a lot of feedback on.  How should we handle business logic in a mobile (including offline!) and web-based application?  In the future we could also see APIs opened up to partners too, which would be a 3rd implementation of the business logic.

What is anyone else doing out there?

Chris