Port server memcached exit with status 137

Haster

Dec 12, 2014, 6:42:50 AM12/12/14
to couc...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys!

We have a problem with my Couchbase claster (2.5.1) on Linux server

When we start to fill bucket with data one of node is failed with such error: "Port server memcached exit with status 137"

I've googled this error and found some discussion there guys said that problem could be in OOM Killer.

So, how can I fix this problem.
How can I guaranty that OOM Killer won't kill my couchbase process?

In documentation I didn't find any recommendations of how much of total memory I can use for Couchbase.
Is there any formula?

Aliaksey Kandratsenka

Dec 12, 2014, 12:30:58 PM12/12/14
to couc...@googlegroups.com
Hi.

Yes it is likely OOM. Because exit status 137 means that process was killed by SIGKILL. And if you haven't sent this signal to memcached, then it could be only kernel. In later case it's almost certainly due to OOM. You can verify that by looking at dmesg on that box. If that's OOM, the log will have detailed explanation from the kernel why it had to pick memcached.

Regarding memory sizing I'm sure there was some documentation. And in principle if you stick to defaults (60% of ram), you should be fine in most cases. Default leaves usually sufficient space for page cache and memory fragmentation overhead, although in some artificial tests it was shown to be not enough.

Can you share more details of your setup? Like ram size, quotas etc ?

Haster

Dec 12, 2014, 3:06:15 PM12/12/14
to couc...@googlegroups.com
Aliaksey,
thank you for reply!

Now I don't have additioanl information (because this thing was happend in another group)
I only know that each server has 64 gb of RAM and for Couchbase was allocated 63 Gb (but I don't know
was it allocated on one node or on two).
Guys from that group just have searched for some recomendation of how much memory they can allocate for Couchbase