Cross Platform XDCR?

Todd Freese

Nov 22, 2014, 10:06:56 AM11/22/14
to couc...@googlegroups.com
Can you setup up a cross platform XDCR? (I know you would never do this for production.)

Our production CB setup is on Linux (EC2) and would like to have a one way XDCR to our Mac test CB server. It would be nice to be able to access production data on EC2 without actually using the production servers.

Todd

Aliaksey Kandratsenka

Nov 22, 2014, 10:48:21 AM11/22/14
to couc...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Nov 22, 2014 at 7:06 AM, Todd Freese <to...@filmworkers.com> wrote:
Can you setup up a cross platform XDCR? (I know you would never do this for production.)

Our production CB setup is on Linux (EC2) and would like to have a one way XDCR to our Mac test CB server. It would be nice to be able to access production data on EC2 without actually using the production servers.

Generally yes. But our OSX packages are a bit different which prevents xdcr to/from them without special tuning.

The reason is that by default couchbase buckets have 1024 partitions (also called vbuckets) and OSX packages have 256 (for historic reason that's not even true anymore AFAIK).

And xdcr requires same vbucket count between source and destination.

If you're running 3.0 I believe it should be ok to increase vbucket count on OSX installations. This is done by setting environment variable COUCHBASE_NUM_VBUCKETS=1024 for couchbase server process(es). One way to do it might be by editing shell scripts that spawn everything, but I'm not osx guy so cannot point you exactly how to do it. It must be done _prior_ to creating your buckets.

After creating bucket(s) you can confirm it's vbucket count in stats (there's metric active vbuckets count for example).

With 1024 vbuckets on mac you should be able to xdcr between gnu/linux and osx without problems.

Todd Freese

Nov 22, 2014, 11:22:11 AM11/22/14
to couc...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, I will give it a try.