Couchbase+Elasticsearch vs Elasticsearch solo

esnosek

Nov 27, 2015, 1:29:08 PM11/27/15
to Couchbase

Hello,

Let me describe the issue. Now I'm at the stage of architectural changes. I used to use Elasticsearch as aggregation and search tool, but now I'm thinking about use it as main DB. I read that there is not recommended to use Elasticsearch as a main DB, only as a index. So I read presentation about connection it with Couchbase:

https://2013.nosql-matters.org/bcn/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/nosql13-bcn-couchbase-elasticsearch-jeroen-reijn.pdf

I downloaded and installed Couchbase and plugin for integration with Elasticsearch

https://github.com/couchbaselabs/elasticsearch-transport-couchbase

I'm not convinced about this solution. Firstly, aggregation is faster in Elasticsearch. Secondly, Elasticsearch supports histogram, geopoints, full text search and many other, so it seems that only reason to keep Couchbase is not to have Elasticsearch as the main DB.

So my question is about the benefits of integration Elasticsearch with Couchbase in my case?