How to improve my English writing skills

Kash

Mar 5, 2007, 1:18:05 PM3/5/07
to Correct my English
Hello everyone

I have had a dream to improve my writing skills to the level where i
don't have to get embarrassed over stupid mistakes in my e-mails and
short compositions. I have a very tight work schedule and i can't
afford to quit the job and peruse my dream which is becoming more like
a need now. I have come across various suggestions to build up the
habit of writing every day as that ensures betterment in writing with
the passage of time. But, every time, after putting all the ideas into
practice a day or two , i ended up putting an end to all the passion
and obsession of improving writing skills. I humbly request all of you
to give me a few practical and innovative advices to help me fulfill
my need.

Regards,

Kash

splay

Mar 5, 2007, 4:30:15 PM3/5/07
to Correct my English

Writing well even in one's native language requires dedication or
talent, or both. It also requires a broad and profound understanding
of grammar and idiom, and therefore many, maybe most, native English
speakers I've seen write like retards. So don't beat yourself up. I
have encountered a problem similar to yours in French--I can read it
just fine, but I write it very poorly. Long ago, when I had just
finished four years of high school French, I could write it OK, but
it's faded away.

I would suggest that when you get frustrated, just read English--
forget about writing for a while and read, read, read. That's how I
learned to write English, and I was born and raised in New Jersey.
Read modern novels that interest you. The quality of the English in
them will be good enough, as a rule. Subscribe to an English-language
newspaper. Steep yourself in English.

Clandy

Mar 6, 2007, 1:53:05 AM3/6/07
to Correct my English

Agree with Splay. Don't be upset. Keep inputing(reading) and
outputing(writing).
One day you will find yourself improved so much.

Maner

Mar 17, 2007, 10:34:33 PM3/17/07
to Correct my English

Hello! Maybe I can give you a advice, just transcribe some English
ariticle you I like.I enjoy using this way to improve my English,It
makes a great effort for me.I hope you'd love it!

Kash

Mar 19, 2007, 12:37:48 AM3/19/07
to Correct my English
Yes, sure. Please advise me, what should i transcribe and how. Could
you explain it throughly?

Thanks,

Kash

Kumar Chavda

Mar 19, 2007, 11:50:59 AM3/19/07
to correct-m...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kash

You are right, we live in same world and have to work for our needs. I feel
same as you do, we cannot improve english skill only by reading a book and
we don;t get that much time and efforts to invest on it.
We have to write some good thing everyday and make corrections all the times
it will help us in make us bold in communicating in english.

Lets start something with different topic everyday and we all will discuss
on it. We all will review grammer as well as betterment of letter.

I feel lets start with "Essay of English and Grammer", it will be our essay
as well as grammer correction oppurtunity.

or let me know which subject you like to discuss...

thanks
kumar

kata...@gmail.com

Mar 19, 2007, 12:09:41 PM3/19/07
to Correct my English
Hello Kumar,

I think learning English together with several people is a good idea
to improve English skills. I have tried to write one essay one day for
preparing IELTS exam, but it didn't work very well, it's hard to find
the errors in my own writings. So if people would learn together,
exchange experience and find out each other's disadvantages in
English, it would be very nice.

I have upload a file which is come from BBC Learning English Website,
called "Learning Circle". There are some ideas which I think we can
adopt for learning together for improving not only English Writing
skills but other skills, such as Speaking and Listening.

So let's have a discussion about these ideas.

Best Regards,
Katat

Kumar Chavda

Mar 19, 2007, 1:52:03 PM3/19/07
to correct-m...@googlegroups.com
Hi Katat,

Thanks for make a force and army of learning english, We all are becoming
solders of this english learning army.
I saw website, it has many thing learn its like a big sea. Belive in you to
learn and explore more areas of english as well as improve knowledge. But i
feel knowledge is a big sea and it has many things to learn and give.
Unfortunarly we require to take baby steps to learn english like divide
english in small parts and learn each part one by one but our goal will be
same as yours of learning everything.

Friends, Here is BBC website
http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/ its really good
website. thanks to katat.

Erros in in your last email

1: So if people would learn together,

exchange experience and find out each other's disadvantages in
English, it would be very nice.

Error: Their is 2 commas in a sentense, its suppose to be one comma only or
you require to use conjunctions like "and, but, or, nor, for, yet, so"

2: I have upload a file which is come from BBC Learning English Website,
Error : you require to use "uploaded"

Thanks
Kumar

kata...@gmail.com

Mar 20, 2007, 11:17:32 AM3/20/07
to Correct my English
Hi Kumar,

Thanks for your correction.
Do you want to join me to make a plan for setting up a English
learning group?

I think learning English should not just be for one section of the
language, practicing all the aspect of language is a good way to boost
the language learning efficiency. So if we could set up a group for
learning English, the learning focus of this group should be making
four section of language(Listening, Reading, Speaking and Writing) to
process together, which can make learning language be more
interesting.

I want to know more ideas for our learning plans, So please tell me if
anybody would be interested in such group, and then we can discuss how
it will be.

Best Regards,
Katat

m J

Apr 6, 2007, 8:35:58 AM4/6/07
to Correct my English
can i please join the group. It will be great to accept me cause am
working to improve my english writting skill, will you help me with my
writting?

KaTat

Apr 6, 2007, 9:33:43 AM4/6/07
to correct-m...@googlegroups.com
Hi mJ,

I welcome you to join our learning group, could you give us an introduction about you. And can you tell us how you do to improve your writing skills, so we can share learning experience with each other, and discuss about it for improvement?
--
Best Regards,
KaTat

mariana jam

Apr 6, 2007, 8:03:34 PM4/6/07
to correct-m...@googlegroups.com
first of all am glad that you have accepted my request and am happy to join the group thanks kate = ),my name is Maria sami,i am 17 years old and first year university student kinda of old :p,mm what else?okay am now in general education i mean i will be soon on 22nd of April. let me speak about my english experience actually my mother is  Califorian country side,she left us when we were infant so we kinda lost our language.I live now in Dubai with my Dad,i know its way off topic but thats my intro ;p. Speaking about my english writing problem i always don't know when to put commas & semicolon with clauses & how to make a complex sentences.Also,want to learn lots of new vocabulary.I guess thats all my problems.its too much =)))) lol.

And finally,its an honor to join the group & i am sure that it will benefit alot of people across the universe.Can i ask what is the next step?