Construction Nelson Mandela School

Linda Dixon

Jun 21, 2011, 8:49:12 AM6/21/11
to Trefann-e-news, cork...@googlegroups.com
Did anybody hear the workers at the school last night?   Those of us living on the west side of the school heard alot of banging inside up to 11pm then I fell asleep.  This is the second time in the last few days.

linda
stampa_girl_line_en.gif

Larry Webb

Jun 21, 2011, 2:29:17 PM6/21/11
to Trefann-e-news, cork...@googlegroups.com
Hi Linda.

I highly doubt that they have a special permit exempting them from the noise by-law.

I presume you called 311 to register a noise complaint.  I know it works from feedback from contractors I know and from 311 calls I have made in the past.

Whether it has any impact is dependent on who the contractor is and how responsible they are: but this is City (related) work so they should heed.

Cheers, L

Larry Webb, PMP
Laurence J. Webb Associates
c: (416) 508-1291
e:
la...@webbpro.ca

Did anybody hear the workers at the school last night?   Those of us living on the west side of the school heard alot of banging inside up to 11pm then I fell asleep.  This is the second time in the last few days.

linda

Visit Corktown's website at http://www.corktown.ca and follow us on Twitter, @CorktownTO
stampa_girl_line_en.gif

Linda Dixon

Jun 22, 2011, 11:52:23 AM6/22/11
to Trefann-e-news, cork...@googlegroups.com, cork...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Larry,

I actually have a contact from the Board and called him this morning.  I just wanted to know whether they were working on both ends of the school so that I could pinpoint the areas the noise.  Apparently they are allowed to work inside at night as long as there is no noise.

I was told this morning that they are removing asbestos at night and cannot do it during the day because of the Health & Safety Act and the safety of the other workers.  I suggested that they close the windows at night because they are all wide open and that may be why we are hearing them.

We are having many problems around the construction site but not the usual complaints, ie: noise.  The school property has become a crack house for the street activity that we have on Shuter.  The lights were disconnected on the front of the school and the Board had to get special money approved to pay the contractors to reconnect them.  The area that they didn't reconnect has become the meeting place for the dealers. The police cannot see them from the street because they are behind the fence, sitting on a park bench which I have asked the contractors to remove.  The grass hasn't been cut this season and again perfect place to hide the drugs for pickup.  The wood hoarding that they have put up in front of the steps has become poster heaven.  The poster guys pull up in the truck right in front of the neighbours and re-plaster.  This morning I caught one of the workers heckling out to the street walker (just wearing a bikini top and pants) who was walking in front of the school.  The workers had been warned in the past that this type of behavior was not permitted on the site but boys will be boys and I guess they forgot.

That said my contact said he was going to the school today and have a meeting with the Site Super.  Hopefully they will deal with the problems.

Thanks again,
linda

Cindy Wilkey (ISAC)

Jun 22, 2011, 11:55:53 AM6/22/11
to cork...@googlegroups.com, Trefann-e-news
Any chance of setting up a construction liaison committee that could meet regularly with the School Board and the contractor to troubleshoot? Perhaps it could be broadened to include Daniels or whomever is doing the Regent Park work.  That is the approach that has been taken with the West Don Lands Construction and so far, it has been an effective mechanism for dealing with resident concerns.

Cindy

Jun 22, 2011, 12:17:38 PM6/22/11
to cork...@googlegroups.com, Trefann E-News
Hi Linda - Pam McConnell would have all those answers.