Best Practice for increasing worker / master instance type on a Tectonic cluster deployed into AWS?

Tom Weston

Jun 19, 2017, 5:05:22 AM6/19/17
to CoreOS User
Hi All,

I am looking for some advice / guidelines on best practice for increasing the AWS instance type on a Tectonic Cluster deployed into AWS with the following graphical Installer version:
tectonic-1.6.4-tectonic

I have deployed a cluster in 2 separate AWS accounts. One for production workloads and one for Dev/Test. Both using the graphical installer that uses Terraform under the hood. The Dev Cluster is running the Experimental features which allows us to perform cluster wide updates at the click of a button and the Prod cluster is running the latest stable version with the separate etcd nodes. These are both working well with their current spec however I need to put a plan together for future growth/expansion.

Do I?

a) Create a copy of the launch configuration in AWS and modify the instance type and attach it to the Respective Auto Scaling Group.

b) Modify the terraform config that is provided in the asset.zip and apply the changes to the live environments.

Thanks in advance!