CoreOs interactive terminal too verbose

Louis Parkin

Oct 11, 2017, 4:13:50 AM10/11/17
to CoreOS User
Hi All

I work for a company that deploys clustered products using coreos and docker, and as part of our deployment, we automatically start up a few docker containers to expose, among others, a web interface for the client to interact with.

The issue I am facing at the moment is that the terminal (be it bare metal, vmware, virtualbox) where coreos is deployed (non-ssh) is very verbose.  It dumps all sorts of systemd information, as well as docker daemon output directly to the client-facing terminal.

I rebuilt the coreos ISO to include some auto-deployment stuff, and would prefer if there was a way I could turn off this verbosity at ISO level, or even soon after boot (by adding a script to the ISO).

Can anybody possibly assist me in finding out why this default terminal is used to dump daemon output?

Thanks in advance.

Louis

Alex Crawford

Oct 11, 2017, 2:42:37 PM10/11/17
to Louis Parkin, CoreOS User
On 10/11, Louis Parkin wrote:
> The issue I am facing at the moment is that the terminal (be it bare metal,
> vmware, virtualbox) where coreos is deployed (non-ssh) is very verbose. It
> dumps all sorts of systemd information, as well as docker daemon output
> directly to the client-facing terminal.
>
> I rebuilt the coreos ISO to include some auto-deployment stuff, and would
> prefer if there was a way I could turn off this verbosity at ISO level, or
> even soon after boot (by adding a script to the ISO).
>
> Can anybody possibly assist me in finding out why this default terminal is
> used to dump daemon output?

All logs flow through journald, so that just needs to be reconfigured.
You can use kernel parameters [1] to adjust the logging levels. You can
also use Ignition to write to /etc/systemd/journald.conf.

[1]: https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/journald.conf.html#MaxLevelConsole=
signature.asc

Louis Parkin

Oct 11, 2017, 11:56:29 PM10/11/17
to CoreOS User
Hi Alex

Thank you for your response.  I eventually was able to resolve the issue by creating /etc/sysctl.d/kp.conf with one line content: kernel.printk = 2 4 1 7

Regards

Louis