Can I create an ingress instance on coreos ?

Thomas Privat

Jul 22, 2016, 10:36:27 AM7/22/16
to CoreOS User
Hello all,

Im wondering if an ingress instance is working on coreos or if its especially designed to work with GCE ?

When I greate an ingress instance with the following yaml file:
apiVersion: extensions/v1beta1
kind
: Ingress
metadata
:
  name
: basic-ingress
spec
:
  backend
:
    serviceName
: nginx
    servicePort
: 80

I will get no IP Address for communication with the instance assigned:
$ kubectl describe ing basic-ingress
Name:            basic-ingress
Namespace:        default
Address:
Default backend:    nginx:80 (<none>)
Rules:

Host    Path    Backends

----    ----    --------

*    *     nginx:80 (<none>)
Annotations:
No events.

Any ideas about this ?

Cheers, Thomas

Seán C. McCord

Jul 22, 2016, 11:29:48 AM7/22/16
to Thomas Privat, CoreOS User
Absolutely, you can.  I have quite a number of Ingress resources deployed on my baremetal CoreOS boxes.

Keep in mind, though, that an Ingress, by itself, does nothing useful.  You also need to have backends/Services and Endpoints on which it operates.

Most importantly, though, you need an IngressController to be running.  If you are not on an otherwise supported platform (GCE, AWS), a good choice is the nginx-based IngressControler at  https://github.com/kubernetes/contrib/tree/master/ingress/controllers/nginx .   This is what actually does the binding and discovery to _do_ something with the Ingress.

Seán C McCord
CyCore Systems, Inc