etcd weave

Mark Olliver

Mar 11, 2015, 5:27:31 PM3/11/15
to coreo...@googlegroups.com
Hi

Can etcd be multihomed ? I am considering a weave network but also using etcd. Ideally I need etcd to be on the weave network but in coreos it runs native on the host not within a docker which will make it tricky for two etcd hosts on different DC's to sync via weave.

Any ideas?

The only one I had was to give a host in each DC a weave ip so that etcd would listen on multiple interfaces. Then within the local DC it uses the standard network of the DC but also talks via the gateway weave nodes to the other site.

Regards

Mark

Ilya Dmitrichenko

Mar 11, 2015, 7:27:21 PM3/11/15
to Mark Olliver, coreo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mark,

With Weave you can run `weave expose <CIDR>` on the host and then a service running on the host would be reachable from the Weave network, if it bind to all interfaces.

I let CoreOS folks correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I am aware, etcd currently is pretty much single-datacenter. You can run a cluster in one DNS and proxies over in the other, it'd probably work okay. And Weave would help you hook these proxies to another DC with ease.

Cheers,
Ilya from Weaveworks

Rimas Mocevicius

Mar 12, 2015, 12:52:45 PM3/12/15
to coreo...@googlegroups.com, pixi...@gmail.com
I think it should be possible to run etcd under weave network as

That should allow to put etcd peers around different DCs.

Only on part is not clear to me, can/how the worker peer from one DC can connect to etcd peer/s on other DCs?

Anybody from CoreOS folks can put more lights on this one, please?

Thanks

Ilya Dmitrichenko

Mar 12, 2015, 1:41:44 PM3/12/15
to Rimas Mocevicius, coreo...@googlegroups.com, pixi...@gmail.com
Sure, running etcd in containers can easily be weave'd, hower as i said earlier, tunning it on the host is also pretty reasy ;)

Rimas Mocevicius

Mar 22, 2015, 7:28:48 PM3/22/15
to coreo...@googlegroups.com
So it was not that difficult at all to link etcd cluster (does not matter running etcd in docker or not) and kubernetes
master between two different cloud providers.
Weave with the host expose and bridge did that very well.
CoreOS/k8s nodes connected to remote etcd/k8s master via weave network at no problem.

Very simple, very cool weave works very cool :-)

Rimas

Ilya Dmitrichenko

Mar 24, 2015, 2:37:23 AM3/24/15
to Rimas Mocevicius, coreo...@googlegroups.com