JVM crash only in CoreOS (on VirtualBox)

Amir Moghimi

Jun 22, 2015, 9:39:41 PM6/22/15
to coreo...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

As explained in this github issue, I am trying to run Marathon service as a container on CoreOS but it keeps failing with a JVM crash. It happens on both MacOS X 10.10.3 and Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS hosts when running CoreOS on VirtualBox 4.3.28.

I have also tried different versions of CoreOS: 681.0.0, 681.2.0, 633.1.0 and 709.0.0.

As the same Marathon docker container works fine when running in a boot2docker vm on the same version of Virtualbox and host OS, it seems it's a CoreOS related issue.

I have created a git repo with a readme that can easily reproduce the issue:

https://github.com/etcinitd/test-marathon-coreos

After following the steps in the readme, if you do "vagrant ssh coremaster-1" and then "journalctl -u marathon", you should see the crash log.

I'd really appreciate if someone can help me on this and let me know what you think about the cause.

Thanks,
Amir

Michael Marineau

Jun 23, 2015, 12:20:55 PM6/23/15
to Amir Moghimi, coreos-user
I wonder if the difference you are seeing is due to ext4+overlay, I'm
not sure what the default driver on other system(s) you tried. Off the
top of my head I don't recall an issue with mmap and overlayfs but
given the other quirks we've found I wouldn't doubt it. You can try
switching to btrfs as described here:

https://coreos.com/docs/cluster-management/setup/mounting-storage/#creating-and-mounting-a-btrfs-volume-file

If that makes a difference let us know! :)

Amir Moghimi

Jun 25, 2015, 9:04:44 PM6/25/15
to Michael Marineau, coreos-user
Thanks for coming back to us, Michael. I tried "btrfs" as you suggested but it didn't make any difference.

Interestingly enough, we are getting the same JVM crash when trying the same config on our CoreOS v681.2.0 VM on Azure. Sadly, at the moment, it's like a no-go to CoreOS for us.

Thanks,
Amir