Why no docker updates?

Kevin Heatwole

Aug 3, 2017, 3:43:45 PM8/3/17
to CoreOS User
Has Container Linux decided not to support the latest Docker versions and only be for Kubernetes apps?

I switched to another distro a few months back for hosting my Docker containers, but would like to switch back if Container Linux tracked Docker updates quicker.

David Michael

Aug 3, 2017, 3:58:08 PM8/3/17
to Kevin Heatwole, CoreOS User
The alpha channel always has the latest Docker version. For beta or
stable, see https://github.com/coreos/bugs/issues/1930 .

Thanks.

David

Kevin Heatwole

Aug 3, 2017, 4:15:13 PM8/3/17
to CoreOS User, ktwa...@gmail.com
The alpha channel always has the latest Docker version.  For beta or
stable, see https://github.com/coreos/bugs/issues/1930

The alpha channel has Docker 17.05.0-ce. This is from beginning of May (the 5th of May).

The current Docker version is 17.06.0-ce (from end of June) with 17.06.1 and 17.07.0 in RC:

17.06 is a quarterly release that receives maintenance updates (for 3 months) while 17.07 will be the release for July (which apparently missed its release deadline). Version 17.05 is no longer maintained.

Anyway, it is fine if Container Linux is focused only on Kubernetes, but I was asking just in case you still want Docker-only users to consider Container Linux for production (and not just dev).

Alex Crawford

Aug 3, 2017, 7:50:52 PM8/3/17
On 08/03, Kevin Heatwole wrote:
> The alpha channel has Docker 17.05.0-ce. This is from beginning of May (the
> 5th of May).
>
> The current Docker version is 17.06.0-ce (from end of June) with 17.06.1
> and 17.07.0 in RC:
>
> https://github.com/docker/docker-ce/releases
>
> 17.06 is a quarterly release that receives maintenance updates (for 3
> months) while 17.07 will be the release for July (which apparently missed
> its release deadline). Version 17.05 is no longer maintained.
>
> Anyway, it is fine if Container Linux is focused only on Kubernetes, but I
> was asking just in case you still want Docker-only users to consider
> Container Linux for production (and not just dev).

Right now, we are a little stuck between shipping the latest versions of
docker and being able to support Tectonic on Container Linux. As you've
noticed, we are shipping old versions of docker to avoid breaking
existing Tectonic clusters. We are working on Torcx [1] which will allow
us to swap out the version of docker (and other utilities) on the
system. This is actually already shipping in Alpha and Beta!

Our plan is to resume shipping the latest version of docker, starting in
early October. Tectonic will be able to specify whichever old version of
docker Kubernetes supports, while our other users will be able to use
the latest versions of docker.

This has been a painful period and we appreciate your patience.

-Alex

[1]: https://github.com/coreos/torcx
signature.asc
Message has been deleted

Mimmus

Aug 9, 2017, 10:46:29 AM8/9/17
to CoreOS User
I'm using CoreOS as platform for Mesosphere DC/OS and I'm currently forced to Docker 1.12/1.13 :-)