Tectonic Installer available for the DigitalOcean platform

Arve Knudsen

Feb 22, 2018, 9:57:24 AM2/22/18
to CoreOS User
Hello everyone!

As my patch to port Tectonic Installer to the low-cost DigitalOcean hosting platform is finally at an end and kindly(!) merged by the CoreOS maintainers (headed for the 1.8.7 release is my understanding), I would like to announce its availability to the community at large! I'd also like to take the opportunity to give thanks to the awesome CoreOS team for supporting me along the way - especially(!) Aleks Saul (who has since joined Pivotal) was crucial in helping me figure out the gritty details in the beginning. I very much appreciate my work making it into the Tectonic Installer codebase!

If you want to try it out for yourselves, the DigitalOcean subsystem isn't yet part of any official release, but lives on the 1.8.7 branch. Please read its documentation, to learn how to proceed. The implementation is probably still a bit rough around the edges (considered pre-alpha by CoreOS), but I have used it to successfully deploy two prototype apps for a few months now. It's a great way to spin up Tectonic/Kubernetes clusters on the cheap! :D

There are some technical limitations to be aware of with this implementation, for example that you can only deploy a single master. High availability of the masters is simply not possible on DigitalOcean because their load balancer doesn't support HTTPS health checks, and Kubernetes masters won't let you connect via HTTP so you're out of luck really. I contacted DigitalOcean about this a good while ago, but haven't heard back yet. For technical reasons (to do with Terraform and its dependency graph) I put a floating IP in front of the master. However, lack of control plane high availability shouldn't be a deal breaker as deploying Kubernetes on DigitalOcean should mainly be a cost saving solution for prototyping as I see it.

I'd love to hear from people trying it out, whether it works for you or not :) If you find any bugs, please raise a Tectonic Installer issue.

Good luck!
Arve

Rob Szumski

Feb 22, 2018, 1:10:12 PM2/22/18
to Arve Knudsen, CoreOS User
Thanks for the hard work Arve! Super happy to see this merged and I hope everyone enjoys Tectonic on DO :)

 - Rob

Arve Knudsen

Feb 22, 2018, 1:16:52 PM2/22/18
to Rob Szumski, CoreOS User
Thanks Rob! 🙂

NB! I discovered a critical failure in the cluster bootstrapping since the DO API appears to have become stricter, making uploading of assets fail, and made a PR to rectify it: https://github.com/coreos/tectonic-installer/pull/3012.

Kim Kuhlman

Feb 26, 2018, 1:50:44 PM2/26/18
to CoreOS User
I've been watching you develop this on Github for many months.  THANKS SO MUCH for all your hard work on this!

Kim

Arve Knudsen

Feb 26, 2018, 1:58:58 PM2/26/18
to Kim Kuhlman, CoreOS User
Thanks Kim! I'm glad to see it coming to fruition :)

Best,
Arve

Dmitriy

Mar 25, 2018, 7:56:50 AM3/25/18
to CoreOS User
Is there some kind of ETA for this to be considered stable or at least beta quality?

Thanks

Ed Rooth

Mar 26, 2018, 6:02:35 AM3/26/18
to CoreOS User
We do not currently have any plans for official Digital Ocean support on our roadmap. Until we do, we're considering this a community supported platform.