etcd 2.0 - when will it be included in a CoreOS release?

Spencer Brown

Jan 29, 2015, 11:49:12 AM1/29/15
to coreo...@googlegroups.com
I mean, hey, it's been 19 hours since Alex put out the etcd 2.0 availability notice... :)

Alex Polvi

Jan 29, 2015, 11:51:28 AM1/29/15
to Spencer Brown, coreos-user
We have a wide array of users outside of CoreOS that use etcd, so we shipped it without adding it to CoreOS. To put it in CoreOS, we have to do a rolling update to a live running cluster, and we are doing some extra double checking on that feature in particular before rolling it out on CoreOS itself.

"soon"

-Alex

On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 8:49 AM, Spencer Brown <spe...@spencerbrown.org> wrote:
I mean, hey, it's been 19 hours since Alex put out the etcd 2.0 availability notice... :)

Brandon Philips

Jan 29, 2015, 1:10:11 PM1/29/15
to Spencer Brown, coreos-user
On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 8:49 AM, Spencer Brown <spe...@spencerbrown.org> wrote:
> I mean, hey, it's been 19 hours since Alex put out the etcd 2.0 availability
> notice... :)

In the meantime you can try it out inside of a container:
https://github.com/coreos/etcd/releases/tag/v2.0.0

Brandon

Christopher Armstrong

Jan 29, 2015, 4:47:26 PM1/29/15
to Brandon Philips, Spencer Brown, coreos-user
 and we are doing some extra double checking on that feature in particular before rolling it out on CoreOS itself.

Thank you :)

Aristomenis Pikeas

Feb 22, 2015, 8:47:46 PM2/22/15
to coreo...@googlegroups.com
It's been almost a month - is there a reason etcd 2.0 hasn't made it into CoreOS?

Alex Polvi

Feb 22, 2015, 8:59:27 PM2/22/15
to Aristomenis Pikeas, coreos-user

On Sun, Feb 22, 2015 at 5:47 PM, Aristomenis Pikeas <pik...@gmail.com> wrote:
It's been almost a month - is there a reason etcd 2.0 hasn't made it into CoreOS?

Yes, we are still testing migration from 0.4.x to 2.0.x. I'd recommend just using a docker container if you'd like to pull etcd 2.0.3:

-Alex

Lance Linder

Feb 27, 2015, 12:08:46 PM2/27/15
to coreo...@googlegroups.com, pik...@gmail.com
Just tried to get this working the other day.  Was able to get Ectd v2.0.3 cluster bootstrapped on CoreOS 557.2.0 but from my experience fleet 0.9.0 isn't compatible with Ectd v2.0.3, for example 'list-machines' doesn't show all machines in the cluster and starting services also fails.  Using curl and Ectd rest apis I can see the cluster is healthy and I can store/query for values but fleet is more or less broken.

I suppose I could run both Ectd 0.4.6 and 2.0.3 to get fleet working again and continue testing but that seems a little ridiculous.

Lance

Brandon Philips

Feb 27, 2015, 12:53:31 PM2/27/15
to Lance Linder, coreos-user, Aristomenis Pikeas
On Fri, Feb 27, 2015 at 9:08 AM, Lance Linder <lli...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just tried to get this working the other day. Was able to get Ectd v2.0.3
> cluster bootstrapped on CoreOS 557.2.0 but from my experience fleet 0.9.0
> isn't compatible with Ectd v2.0.3, for example 'list-machines' doesn't show
> all machines in the cluster and starting services also fails. Using curl
> and Ectd rest apis I can see the cluster is healthy and I can store/query
> for values but fleet is more or less broken.
>
> I suppose I could run both Ectd 0.4.6 and 2.0.3 to get fleet working again
> and continue testing but that seems a little ridiculous.

Can you gather up logs from fleet and etcd and more information about
your environment? This is certainly not expected. Filing a bug at
github.com/coreos/etcd/issues would be the best place to put that.

Thank You,

Brandon

Anielkis Herrera

Mar 11, 2015, 9:48:28 AM3/11/15
to coreo...@googlegroups.com
Hello, any updates about this subject?

Thanks

Alex Polvi

Mar 18, 2015, 11:18:20 PM3/18/15
to Anielkis Herrera, coreos-user
We had intended to roll it out today in the image, but due to last minute issues had to pull it out. We will try again next week.

-Alex

Brandon Kruse

Mar 26, 2015, 4:10:35 PM3/26/15
to coreo...@googlegroups.com, anie...@gmail.com
Hey Alex - did you ever get around to testing this?

I am going to try coreOS 633.1.0 with etcd 2.x inside a container starting from the cloud-init. I will be loosely following this guide:

Thanks!

Brandon

Brandon Kruse

Mar 26, 2015, 5:21:15 PM3/26/15
to coreo...@googlegroups.com, anie...@gmail.com
Just wanted to give an update. I was able to use etcd 2.0.7 with fleet on coreos 633.1.0

It looks like it's working great. I've already ran it in our development environment and put it through many different failure scenarios per the consensus algorithm and it is working like a charm.

I'll post a blog article later with step-by-steps if anyone is interested.

Ben Marini

Mar 29, 2015, 7:54:57 PM3/29/15
to coreo...@googlegroups.com, anie...@gmail.com
Brandon I would definitely be interested. I'm considering the same setup and would love to learn from your experience.

John Griessen

Mar 29, 2015, 9:47:47 PM3/29/15
to coreo...@googlegroups.com
On 03/29/2015 06:54 PM, Ben Marini wrote:
> I'm considering the same setup and would love to learn from your experience.
Me too.

AoiK

Apr 3, 2015, 4:07:18 AM4/3/15
to coreo...@googlegroups.com, anie...@gmail.com
Hello Alex,

any update on this?
we're running etcd2.0 containers on CoreOS but it'd be easier if it came with CoreOS ISO image :)

Aoi

2015年3月19日木曜日 12時18分20秒 UTC+9 Alex Polvi:

Jonathan Boulle

Apr 3, 2015, 2:34:57 PM4/3/15
to AoiK, coreos-user, Anielkis Herrera
We're shooting to have it in the alpha image within the next two weeks. Tracking bug here: https://github.com/coreos/bugs/issues/317