ImagePullPolicy / RollingUpdate / New Image at Repo Push

Stephan Kristyn

Oct 15, 2017, 8:31:32 PM10/15/17
to CoreOS User
How can Itell a pod that it should re-pull image other than "kubectl delete -f"?

Is there a no-downtime way to do this? I am still not clear how to do this rolling update, e.g. that the image gets build after every push into branch/tag.

Seán C. McCord

Oct 15, 2017, 11:37:44 PM10/15/17
to Stephan Kristyn, CoreOS User
Use different tags.  Usually, that means don't use the default "latest" tag for your image.  Use versioned tags, commit has tags, sequentially-increasing tags, or some similar scheme to have a different name for the image.  For instance, instead of using `myuser/myapp`, create and use `myuser/myapp:r1`, `myuser/myapp:r2`, etc.

Then, you can simply patch the image name in the manifest, and as long as you have defined your constraints and checks, you will automatically perform a rolling update.

Integration with CI and CD systems usually means you use the commit hash as the tag name, so that it is known by all pieces in the chain.

On Sun, Oct 15, 2017 at 8:31 PM Stephan Kristyn <notti...@ecomail.at> wrote:
How can Itell a pod that it should re-pull image other than "kubectl delete -f"?

Is there a no-downtime way to do this? I am still not clear how to do this rolling update, e.g. that the image gets build after every push into branch/tag.

Seán C McCord
CyCore Systems, Inc

Stephan Kristyn

Oct 15, 2017, 11:47:56 PM10/15/17
to "Seán C. McCord", CoreOS User
Thanks.

We already tag.

I want to push to develop, that triggers docker build and CI tests inside Pod (no need for costly, cumbersome and therefore soon-to-be legacy CI systems)
Then when tests pass, a push into stage branch happens.
I want this to happen without any human being interaction other than dev pushing into develop.
Is this possible with CoreOS?

If not, where can I requests this feature?

KR,
steve

Seán C. McCord

Oct 15, 2017, 11:54:29 PM10/15/17
to Stephan Kristyn, CoreOS User
This is possible with Kubernetes.  It doesn't really have much to do with CoreOS.  What you are describing is a CD system, whether you use someone else's or build your own.   I use drone[1] for this, and the honestbee kubernetes plugin[2], but you are welcome to roll your own. The kubernetes plugin is a simple shell script, which you can use as reference.