Installing CoreOS to disk

Askar

Jun 12, 2017, 8:26:57 AM6/12/17
to CoreOS User
Hello!

Is there any more detailed tutorial besides this https://coreos.com/os/docs/latest/installing-to-disk.html to install CoreOS to disk?

It says

If you want to ensure you are installing the latest stable version, use the -C option: coreos-install -d /dev/sda -C stable

But it looks like it's not sufficient.

The docs explained https://coreos.com/os/docs/latest/installing-to-disk.html is confusing to me :)

Thanks.

Askar Karasaev

Jun 12, 2017, 9:03:22 AM6/12/17
to CoreOS User
sudo coreos-install -d /dev/sda -C stable
made its job! :)

But it seems, now I have a different issue - login credentials, which is a different question. Will dig on it.

paul...@coreos.com

Jun 14, 2017, 11:41:29 AM6/14/17
to CoreOS User
Hi Askar,

You can add users when you install, by following the notes here:
https://coreos.com/os/docs/latest/adding-users.html

Cheers,
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to coreos-user...@googlegroups.com.

Eric Jaw

Jun 27, 2017, 3:27:24 PM6/27/17
to CoreOS User
How do you "access" the server if you can't log into it? Or is there a default login?

Using an SSH agent didn't work
Specifying a public key with coreos-install -d /dev/sda -i /path/to/id_dsa.pub caused it to be unbootable

Seán C. McCord

Jun 27, 2017, 3:53:28 PM6/27/17
to Eric Jaw, CoreOS User

The '-i' is expecting and Ignition configuration file (https://coreos.com/ignition/docs/latest/), not an SSH key.

Also, do not attempt to use a DSA key.  Any modern SSH server (such as that included within CoreOS Container Linux) has depcrecated DSA keys.  They are broken and unsafe.  Use RSA or elliptic keys instead (ed25519, for instance).

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "CoreOS User" group.

Seán C McCord
CyCore Systems, Inc

Eric Jaw

Jun 27, 2017, 4:33:53 PM6/27/17
to CoreOS User, nais...@gmail.com
You're right, I read the doc too fast (https://coreos.com/os/docs/latest/booting-with-qemu.html#ssh-keys). It's actually -a not -i

and I meant id_rsa.pub, that was a typo

I'm testing it again right now, the doc mentioned that a wrapper should take pull the public key from the ssh-agent; however it doesn't. Any reason for that?

Seán C. McCord

Jun 27, 2017, 4:56:30 PM6/27/17
to Eric Jaw, CoreOS User
The qemu wrapper is just a convenience.  It's so that you don't have to explicitly specify your SSH keys in the ignition config.  Instead, it will sweep you ssh-agent (if it is running) and your ~/.ssh directory for any public keys you might use, and insert those into the ignition config.

Eric Jaw

Jun 27, 2017, 6:21:54 PM6/27/17
to CoreOS User, nais...@gmail.com
It's not pulling the key from the ssh-agent. Is there a reason why it's not?

Eric Jaw

Jun 27, 2017, 6:27:02 PM6/27/17
to CoreOS User, nais...@gmail.com
And other how can you specify the public key to use without creating the tedious yaml file?

Seán C. McCord

Jun 27, 2017, 11:11:12 PM6/27/17
to Eric Jaw, CoreOS User
Ignition is a really important part of Container Linux.   Do not underestimate its value.  That said, it is understandable, if you are just trying to play with it, that you don't want to mess with it to start with.

The ignition config can be very minimal; something like:

{
  "ignition": {
    "version": "2.0.0",
    "config": {}
  },
  "storage": {},
  "systemd": {},
  "networkd": {},
  "passwd": {
    "users": [
      {
        "name": "core",
        "sshAuthorizedKeys": [
          "ssh-ed25519 AAAAC3NzaC1lZDI1NTE5AAAAIIwzqp9ls/EYyXg+aRYC/8SiB/7WOixuHQNxF0rNdfZG test@tester"
        ]
      }
    ]
  }
}

Eric Jaw

Jun 28, 2017, 12:49:01 AM6/28/17
to CoreOS User, nais...@gmail.com
Imagine if you had to type that out; and remember that, I don't think I would enjoy that.

Seán C. McCord

Jun 28, 2017, 1:40:43 AM6/28/17
to Eric Jaw, CoreOS User

Why would you do such a thing?  That is why you work with a file.

Eric

Jun 28, 2017, 5:15:04 AM6/28/17
to Seán C. McCord, CoreOS User
What I mean is, if you didn't have any files to work with.

Exactly the same with Joyent's SmartOS, where provisioning any VM required a JSON spec. Until there was an automatic way to input parameters and just spit out the JSON file to use, you ended up with a growing library of JSON files for all different configurations.

It's just a small piece of mind if it were polished enough to handle the small things better. Just a small UX bit, that's all :)

Andrew Webber

Jun 28, 2017, 6:08:11 AM6/28/17
to CoreOS User, ule...@gmail.com
If you iPXE boot with CoreOS Matchbox you dont have to type anything.