How to cancel locksmith system reboot?

Kevin Heatwole

May 31, 2017, 1:33:54 PM5/31/17
to CoreOS User
When locksmith decides to reboot, it sends out the following message:

Broadcast message from locksmithd at 2017-05-31 17:23:32.783297421 +0000 UTC:
System reboot in 5 minutes!

How do I cancel the system reboot?

Can I also just change the time to something like "in 12 hours" so the reboot takes place in the early morning? Or, tell locksmith to request the reboot again in 12 hours.

Alex Crawford

May 31, 2017, 4:09:31 PM5/31/17
to Kevin Heatwole, CoreOS User
On 05/31, Kevin Heatwole wrote:
> Can I also just change the time to something like "in 12 hours" so the
> reboot takes place in the early morning? Or, tell locksmith to request the
> reboot again in 12 hours.

You can stop the locksmith service (`systemctl stop locksmithd`). You
_might_ be able to use a systemd inhibitor, but I haven't tested that.

-Alex
signature.asc

Brandon Philips

May 31, 2017, 4:13:29 PM5/31/17
to Alex Crawford, Kevin Heatwole, CoreOS User

Inhibitor doesn't work for root processes iirc.

Simon Westcott

Jun 5, 2017, 7:40:49 AM6/5/17
to CoreOS User
Hi Kevin,

You can tune the reboot strategy and specify a reboot schedule, see https://coreos.com/os/docs/latest/update-strategies.html

Further, according to the CoreOS Update Operator docs, Locksmith can be disabled fully be masking the systemd unit, see https://github.com/coreos/container-linux-update-operator/blob/master/README.md. I've not tried this myself so can't vouch for it.

Regards,
Simon