Reboot strategy for single node bare metal installs

Peter Hase

Mar 26, 2018, 10:32:48 AM3/26/18
to CoreOS User
Maybe it's a stupid question, but how can I create a reboot strategy for updates with a maintenance window on a single bare-metal node without etcd?
https://coreos.com/os/docs/latest/update-strategies.html#auto-updates-with-a-maintenance-window requires locksmith to connect to etcd, but I have not etcd node or cluster active.

I want to ensure that
  1. docker containers are gracefully stopped, for those which are started via systemd services and those started directly via docker run
  2. Reboot happens at a certain time, in a certain window to give services time to stop

Maybe simply using "reboot" is enough, but in the past I had problems with ext4 corruption and I consider unclean stopping and rebooting of containers as a possible culprit

Here's related output:

$etcdctl cluster-health
cluster may be unhealthy
: failed to list members
Error:  client: etcd cluster is unavailable or misconfigured; error #0: dial tcp 127.0.0.1:2379: getsockopt: connection refused

# cat /etc/coreos/update.conf
GROUP
=stable
REBOOT_STRATEGY
="etcd-lock"
LOCKSMITHD_REBOOT_WINDOW_START
="Sun 1:00"
LOCKSMITHD_REBOOT_WINDOW_LENGTH
="2h"

 locksmithctl status
Error initializing etcd client: client: etcd cluster is unavailable or misconfigured

Cheers and thanks for help

Peter Hase

Mar 26, 2018, 3:02:33 PM3/26/18
to Derek Gonyeo, CoreOS User
Dear Derek,

thank you for your reply.

I tried “reboot” before, but now I’m not sure if it also, at time of reboot, takes care to carefully stop processes, aka systemd services running containers. I have ExecStop= commands in my system files, network drives mounted etc and just want to be sure, the reboot happens gracefully - like advertised for etcd-lock

On 26. Mar 2018, at 20:53, Derek Gonyeo <dgo...@redhat.com> wrote:

For the locksmith part of the question, set the REBOOT_STRATEGY line to "reboot". The available strategies are described here: https://github.com/coreos/locksmith#configuration