Dropping ARM64 support from Container Linux

Benjamin Gilbert

Jul 10, 2018, 6:00:17 PM7/10/18
to CoreOS User, coreo...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

In the upcoming weeks, we plan to remove support for the ARM64 architecture from Container Linux.  Beginning with alpha 1855.0.0 on July 31, we will no longer ship ARM64 images for new releases.  At a later date, we will additionally remove all ARM64 support from our source repos, including Portage profiles, kernel configs, and tooling.  Existing ARM64 machines will continue to function, but will not update to future versions of Container Linux.

We're taking this step in order to streamline the development and maintenance of Container Linux throughout its remaining lifespan.  Support for the ARM64 architecture requires ongoing maintenance work, and our metrics as well as informal reports indicate that there is no meaningful use of Container Linux on ARM64.  If you are making substantive use of Container Linux on ARM64, please let us know; we’d consider delaying the removal if necessary to reduce disruption to an existing user base.

We'd like to thank the Container Linux community, and most especially Geoff Levand, for their work over the years to improve the state of Container Linux on ARM64 and to extend its reach.

--Benjamin Gilbert