Kubernetes Networking Issues After Upgrading to 1068.9.0

Jeremy Derr

Aug 19, 2016, 2:00:29 PM8/19/16
to CoreOS User
I've allowed one of my test clusters to upgrade to 1068.9.0 from 1010.6.0. After doing this, docker networking does not mesh up with the kubernetes networking layer. My pods get conflicting 172.17.0.0/24 IP addresses, preventing most of them from accessing any network resources (generally, either the first or last to start with any specific IP, depending on circumstances), instead of the customary Kubernetes 10.244.0.0/16 addresses.

Restarting Docker, the Kubelet, the Kube Proxy, and lastly deleting and rescheduling all pods will (usually) resolve the issue.

I've noticed the same issue with the 2 beta channel servers I mix-in to my production cluster, and have thus had to remove them from service.

Between these two releases, has something changed in Docker's start process in CoreOS? The Docker version has not been revved.

Brandon Philips

Aug 29, 2016, 5:20:42 PM8/29/16
to Jeremy Derr, CoreOS User
What are you using for the kubernetes networking?

Jeremy Derr

Aug 30, 2016, 10:07:00 AM8/30/16
to Brandon Philips, CoreOS User
Flannel. I am using a heavily updated version of the old CloudFormation templates that originally came in the Kubernetes codebase, complete with the early-docker systemd unit.

Restarting docker sometimes (but not always) seems to resolve the issue. Currently, I just have flannel set to start with no additional configuration. Is this a situation where I need to make sure it starts after early-docker.service but before docker.service?
--
Jeremy Derr

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout.