Providing Cloud-Config with Config-Drive for AWS

nat...@radialogica.com

Apr 17, 2015, 6:26:43 PM4/17/15
to coreo...@googlegroups.com
Has anyone had any luck with initializing the machines on AWS using config-drive?

I know that it possible to run cloud-config via the user-data, but there is 16KB limit on user-data that can be provided.

Alex Polvi

Apr 17, 2015, 6:31:10 PM4/17/15
to coreos-dev
Nathan, is there a particular config-drive service? Or is this more just reading an EBS attached volume at boot? Sorry if this is a naive question, I'm just only familiar with native config-drive in the context of openstack.

-Alex

Daniel Condomitti

Apr 17, 2015, 6:45:49 PM4/17/15
to coreo...@googlegroups.com
Even though I run CoreOS on vSphere currently, I've had success with cloud-config by using a very simple user-data file and using cloud-init's --from-url option (https://github.com/dcondomitti/vapor/blob/vmware/cloud-config.template) to generate configs on-demand.

#!/bin/bash
MAC=`ifconfig -a | grep ether | awk '{ print $2 }'`
coreos-cloudinit --from-url="${URL}"

This way I don't need to regenerate the template (or AMI in ec2) any time I update the cloud-config files and I could have instance-specific configurations if that comes up in the future.

nat...@radialogica.com

Apr 18, 2015, 10:11:35 AM4/18/15
to coreo...@googlegroups.com
I'm referring to the using config-drive as the method to execute a cloud config file to initialize the machines in the cluster.

The "Providing Cloud-Config with Config-Drive" section mentions that it should be possible to user config-drive on different oems.

nat...@radialogica.com

Apr 18, 2015, 10:14:23 AM4/18/15
to coreo...@googlegroups.com
This is the process that I have come up with but it is not something I prefer to do.  In fact in EC2 I use a cloud config that executes a service that runs cloud-init on the machines by pulling down the file from a github gist.