Is there a way to pin CoreOS and constituent ebuild versions?

Matt Mathis

Apr 10, 2017, 7:32:49 PM4/10/17
to CoreOS Dev
I have been having recurrent build problem due to version/dependency skew at the CoreOS head.     I don't need to continuously track the bleeding edge.  Is there a way for me to pin CoreOS and all constituent ebuilds to known consistent state just slightly behind the head?

I'm happy to pull forward periodically.

This forum does not seem to be sufficient for understanding some of the churn.  Is there a better forum?

David Michael

Apr 10, 2017, 7:46:56 PM4/10/17
to coreo...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at 4:32 PM, 'Matt Mathis' via CoreOS Dev
<coreo...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
> I have been having recurrent build problem due to version/dependency skew at
> the CoreOS head. I don't need to continuously track the bleeding edge.
> Is there a way for me to pin CoreOS and all constituent ebuilds to known
> consistent state just slightly behind the head?

I'm not sure what exactly "slightly behind the head" would refer to,
but you can pick a tag or branch from
https://github.com/coreos/manifest and run:

repo init -b $branch_or_tag
repo sync

That will keep you on a different version track. It can be reset by
running it with the "master" branch.

> This forum does not seem to be sufficient for understanding some of the
> churn. Is there a better forum?

There is #coreos on freenode if you prefer IRC over mailing lists.

Thanks.

David

Matt Mathis

Apr 10, 2017, 8:17:20 PM4/10/17
to coreo...@googlegroups.com
I have done that, but it does not seem to pin all of the components.   Perhaps the master manifest is missing some dependencies that get imported implicitly?

The symptom being that build-1339 built cleanly ~2 weeks ago, but does not build today (in a script that mimics https://coreos.com/os/docs/latest/sdk-modifying-coreos.html)

Which channel do the developers prefer?

Thanks,
--MM--
The best way to predict the future is to create it.  - Alan Kay

Privacy matters!  We know from recent events that people are using our services to speak in defiance of unjust governments.   We treat privacy and security as matters of life and death, because for some users, they are.

David Michael

Apr 10, 2017, 8:32:16 PM4/10/17
to coreo...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at 5:16 PM, 'Matt Mathis' via CoreOS Dev
<coreo...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
> I have done that, but it does not seem to pin all of the components.
> Perhaps the master manifest is missing some dependencies that get imported
> implicitly?
>
> The symptom being that build-1339 built cleanly ~2 weeks ago, but does not
> build today (in a script that mimics
> https://coreos.com/os/docs/latest/sdk-modifying-coreos.html)

The build-1339 manifest Git branch did not actually branch any of the
projects defined in the manifest, so they are still pulling from
master. The branch would need a commit like this:

https://github.com/coreos/manifest/commit/7d801e8a187822136e6eb1a781b90ad87de140b7

> Which channel do the developers prefer?

Developers are on both, but I'd assume they are more likely to read
mailing list questions that were asked when they're not online.

Thanks.

David