Upgrading from ETCD 0.4.9 to ETCD 2.x

Sivaram Kannan

Aug 4, 2015, 2:40:00 AM8/4/15
to CoreOS Dev

Hi,

I am planning to migrate my coreos cluster which are running 647.0.0 to current stable and upgrade the ETCD data to 2.x. According to the doc https://coreos.com/etcd/docs/2.0.8/backward_compatibility.html - the datadir will auto-migrate to the current version(The document describing migration form 0.4.0 t0 2.x seems empty). I don't see auto-migration happening. Can someone tell me how the migration can be done. I am expecting, the fleet units that I have triggered in etcd 0.4.9 is all retained when I migrated to 2.x.

Thanks,
./Siva.

anton....@coreos.com

Aug 4, 2015, 4:17:06 AM8/4/15
to CoreOS Dev
Dear Siva,

You have to stop your old etcd cluster first. Unfortunately there is no way to upgrade etcd 0.4 to 2.x without stop.

Regards,
Anton

Sivaram Kannan

Aug 4, 2015, 11:10:45 AM8/4/15
to CoreOS Dev

Stopping the running cluster is fine. Say I have triggered a number of tasks using fleet in the older version, after migration, would I be able to restart the services? That is what I could not make it work. Would that work?

Thanks,
./Siva.

Sivaram Kannan

Aug 4, 2015, 12:52:43 PM8/4/15
to CoreOS Dev

Previous question does not make sense. Say If I had stored some data in previous etcd version, will I be able to retain the stored data after upgrading to 2.0?

anton....@coreos.com

Aug 5, 2015, 8:29:04 AM8/5/15
to CoreOS Dev
Hi Siva,

Yes you can. Anyway I recommend you to make a backup before migration process.

Regards,
Anton

Yicheng Qin

Aug 5, 2015, 6:05:47 PM8/5/15
to coreo...@googlegroups.com
It is recommended to use snapshot migration (https://github.com/coreos/etcd/blob/release-2.1/Documentation/backward_compatibility.md#snapshot-migration), which could be clean and safe.

Sivaram Kannan

Aug 6, 2015, 12:22:12 AM8/6/15
to CoreOS Dev

Thanks. That looks perfect. I stopped reading two lines before when I the link to Migration data tool doc was empty. Will try that and report back.

Thanks,
./Siva.