Including biosdevname in CoreOS image.

lukasz....@intel.com

May 27, 2016, 1:42:12 PM5/27/16
to CoreOS Dev, Tomasz Paszkowski
Hi,

CoreOS does not include biosdevname tool by default. Any chance for adding it? It eases up managing network configuration when nodes are used with different OSes (NICs have same naming convention regardless of installed OS).
For reference: https://linux.dell.com/biosdevname/

Michael Marineau

May 27, 2016, 3:29:37 PM5/27/16
to coreos-dev, Tomasz Paszkowski
The great thing about standards is there are so many of them! CoreOS
uses systemd's naming scheme which is very close to biosdevname's
scheme but not quite:
https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames/

So we can be compatible with distros using the older biosdevname or
newer systemd but not both, And considering RHEL has switched from
biosdevname to systemd as the default scheme (though biosdevname can
be installed and used) I think it is safe to say biosdevname is pretty
solidly deprecated at this point. Literally every time network
configuration comes up I curse the fact that the designers of the
networking API didn't use device nodes to represent network
interfaces, making it impossible to alias devices with simple symlinks
like we can for everything else.

mash...@gmail.com

Dec 1, 2016, 1:48:58 PM12/1/16
to CoreOS Dev, tomasz.p...@intel.com
Correct answer:   add  net.ifnames=0  on the kernel command line.

Just tested to verify using 1185.3.0