Setting up CoreOS repos for kernel changes?

Ben Scarlato

Jul 17, 2015, 2:43:10 AM7/17/15
to coreo...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

What repos do I need to clone in order to modify CoreOS kernel configuration options (after following the steps at https://coreos.com/os/docs/latest/sdk-modifying-coreos.html)?

I believe I need to clone https://github.com/coreos/linux, although I'm not certain of the correct location. Is there a page that documents properly adding repositories after running repo init?

Background: I'm trying to modify the CoreOS kernel config for my own testing. I found the instructions at https://groups.google.com/d/msg/coreos-dev/H0EkQjgsUw4/hrsgFrghcMQJ, but I'm running into issues with the ebuild. When I ran:

~/trunk/src/third_party/coreos-overlay/sys-kernel/coreos-kernel$ ebuild coreos-kernel-4.0.7-r5.ebuild configure

I got an error that “The source directory '/usr/src/linux-4.0.7-coreos-r2' doesn't exist”. I tried cloning https://github.com/coreos/linux into /usr/linux and renaming it to linux-4.0.7-coreos-r2. That seemed to fix the first error but now I get a message saying that “cp: cannot stat ‘//usr/share/bootengine/bootengine.cpio’: No such file or directory” (/usr/share/boot doesn't exist at all), so I just wanted to check if I was setting things up correctly.

What setup do I need to do before I can run an ebuild successfully?

Thanks!

Ben Scarlato

Jul 21, 2015, 6:55:04 PM7/21/15
to coreo...@googlegroups.com
Just a follow-up note for anyone who runs into a similar issue in the future:

The additional step I needed was running the emerge tool to fetch more resources. For example:

sudo emerge sys-kernel/coreos-kernel sys-kernel/dracut