Is update_engine and libchrome supported non-x86 platform ?

Leno Hou

May 3, 2016, 3:33:11 AM5/3/16
to CoreOS Dev

As titled, Could anyone give me the answer?  If update_engine and libchrome not supported non-x86 platform, e.g.  arm64, ppc64,  anything could i do to make it happen ? Thanks.

-Leno Hou

Michael Marineau

May 3, 2016, 11:31:57 AM5/3/16
to coreos-dev

The currently used version is only good for x86 but the next revision drops libchrome and thus should work across architectures just fine. There is a bit more work for me to do on that branch before it is ready for use but I'll be returning to that project soon!

Leno Hou

May 4, 2016, 1:37:43 AM5/4/16
to coreo...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, May 3, 2016 at 11:31 PM, Michael Marineau <michael....@coreos.com> wrote:

The currently used version is only good for x86 but the next revision drops libchrome and thus should work across architectures just fine. There is a bit more work for me to do on that branch before it is ready for use but I'll be returning to that project soon!

Thanks Michael,

Q1. Is there a update_engine beta version for other architecture to use ? ;-)  And I can help you to test the update_engine on other platforms if you give me the git repo url.

-Leno Hou

Michael Marineau

May 4, 2016, 2:13:01 AM5/4/16
to coreos-dev
That would be the master branch here: https://github.com/coreos/update_engine
With the addition of https://github.com/coreos/update_engine/pull/103
it may be in working order as-is but I'm not certain.

Testing CoreOS updates are a little wonky at the moment too. We just
increased the size of USR-A and USR-B in dev images, making them
incompatible with update_engine at the moment. So when testing with
the older devserver the coreos_production_image.bin needs to be used:
https://coreos.com/os/docs/latest/sdk-building-development-images.html#updating-an-image-with-update-engine
The newer, but less documented, "kola updatepayload" test does use the
prod image by default so it should still be OK.

Hope that helps some, and I'll be returning to this project soon to
get the new version squared away.

Leno Hou

May 10, 2016, 1:09:11 AM5/10/16
to coreo...@googlegroups.com
Today I've successfully compiled update_engine on ppc64le when drop libchrome. Thanks Michael.

And I'll open new mail thread to discuss with porting CoreOS on ppc64le.

-Leno Hou