CoreOS 835 PXE boot hang after device-mapper at Cisco UCS C200 M2

叶朝敏

Apr 18, 2016, 5:48:35 AM4/18/16
to CoreOS Dev
Hi there,

I'm now trying CoreOS with PXE (via Cobbler and PXELinux actually) on a Cisco UCS C200 M2, however, CoreOS seems to hang at PXE booting, as can be seen from the screen capture below: (I don't know how to capture the text from the UCS's KVM window, if you know please tell me, sorry for this :().

This issue happens occasionally, sometimes it can boot successfully, and the device is able to got the cloud-config from the URL I specified on the kernel line, some times it failed without any reason. Since it failed to boot I cannot continue to get system boot log via journalctl or so.

Here's my PXELinux configuration for CoreOS:

在此输入代码...

default linux
prompt 0
timeout 1
label linux
        kernel /images/coreos-stable-835/vmlinuz
        ipappend 2
        append initrd=/images/coreos-stable-835/cpio.gz rootflags=loop root=/coreos_stable_835.iso coreos.autologin console=tty0 console=ttyS0 rootfstype=tmpfs udev.event-timeout=60 cloud-config-url=http://192.168.1.10/cloud-configs/cloud-config-e0:2f:6d:bc:08:bc.yml

叶朝敏

Apr 18, 2016, 5:50:48 AM4/18/16
to CoreOS Dev
I googled a lot but were not lucky enough to find similar problems. Anyone ran into same issue? Or if you have any clue to troubleshoot this, I'd appreciate your kind help. Thanks in advance!

在 2016年4月18日星期一 UTC+8下午5:48:35,叶朝敏写道:

lukasz....@intel.com

Apr 19, 2016, 11:54:00 AM4/19/16
to CoreOS Dev
In https://github.com/coreos/bugs/issues/152 you might be able to find workaround.

Brandon Philips

Apr 19, 2016, 11:56:47 AM4/19/16
to coreo...@googlegroups.com, Michael Marineau
There is a documentation problem that we need to fix: https://github.com/coreos/docs/issues/793

You shouldn't be specifying the "iso" stuff in root= for example.

Philip Ye

Apr 20, 2016, 12:49:44 AM4/20/16
to CoreOS Dev
Thanks lukasz, seems that that issue happens when running coreos-install, while my issue occur during PXE boot, *before* coreos-install actually.

Philip Ye

Apr 20, 2016, 12:52:34 AM4/20/16
to CoreOS Dev, michael....@coreos.com
Thanks Michael, let me give it a try.

Philip Ye

Apr 20, 2016, 4:01:53 AM4/20/16
to CoreOS Dev, michael....@coreos.com
Thank you Michael, removing these two options for root, i.e. rootflags=loop root=/coreos_stable_835.iso, CoreOS can successfully PXE now.

V Benincosa

Apr 26, 2017, 11:36:21 AM4/26/17
to CoreOS Dev, michael....@coreos.com
Didn't use Cobbler but using regular IPXE I updated a guide for UCS and CoreOS.  I tested on UCS M2, M3, & M4.  Seemed to work great.