coreos-install and networking

simon.l...@blablacar.com

Mar 11, 2015, 9:35:46 AM3/11/15
to coreo...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I'm using coreos on baremetal servers but I have some difficulties to set advanced network configurations like bonding.
Currently, the installer puts the cloud-config file on disk and this one is loaded on first boot, after the network interfaces.
The consequence is that you have to reboot in order to have a working bonding config or to set up the interfaces manually the first time.
I don't know if the problem is with systemd-networkd but anyway, I think the files creation part of the cloud-config should be done during the install (before the reboot on disk) if we want a really consistent node even at the first boot.

What do you think about that ?

Michael Marineau

Mar 11, 2015, 1:14:57 PM3/11/15
to coreos-dev
We are in the process of designing a replacement for cloud-init/cloud-config that will be able to run prior to boot. On many systems this will be during the initrd but could conceivably be run even earlier during coreos-install. This is a ways out still I promise we are working on it. :)

As a workaround until we have a new configuration system you can mount LABEL=ROOT after coreos-install runs and drop any configs you need into etc/systemd/network and similar. If you need to provision a number of machines this could easily be scripted.

simon.l...@blablacar.com

Mar 12, 2015, 7:37:35 AM3/12/15
to coreo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the answer Michael.
I'm glad to hear that this part will be improved and actually I'm already using the workaround you're talking about ;)