CoreOS on ARM

Alex Crawford

Jun 27, 2016, 10:10:06 PM6/27/16
to coreo...@googlegroups.com
For the past year or so, CoreOS, its partners, and members of the
community have been working to add support for ARM to CoreOS. We are
getting close enough that we would like to let the broader community
take it for a spin. The documentation is a bit limited at this point,
but the images are available for download from our site [1]. These
images should just work on compatible hardware and will automatically
update themselves just like CoreOS on AMD64. Please note that CoreOS
requires ARM 64 compliant machines, so it's probably going to be limited
to higher-end ARM servers.

If you happen to have compatible hardware laying around, go ahead and
give CoreOS a shot and let us know what you think. Thanks!

-Alex

F.A.Q.

Can I run this on my Raspberry Pi?

No. All but the latest generation use the ARMv6 and ARMv7 ISAs which
are strictly 32-bit, but CoreOS requires 64-bit. While the third
generation Pi uses the Cortex-A53, a 64-bit processor, it doesn't
have support for UEFI which is required by CoreOS on ARM.

On what _can_ I run this?

Theoretically anything meeting the ARM 64 Server specs (e.g. ARM's
SBSA). For CoreOS, this basically boils down to UEFI and upstream
Linux support. CoreOS is known to work on the following ARM devices:

HiKey from 96Boards
X-Gene X-C1 from Applied Micro
H270-T70 from GIGABYTE

[1]: https://alpha.release.core-os.net/arm64-usr/