Cluster of containers

Arti

Jul 21, 2015, 3:10:00 PM7/21/15
to coreo...@googlegroups.com
Hi:

I have couple of questions;

1. One application to be divided into multple pieces and then deploy onto each container a piece.  So now 1 application is distributed among multiple containers, forming a cluster of containers.  So can we create a cluster of containers as we do clusters of VMs or machines?  Would it have latency issues? Do I need to write my own cluster software for containers or can leverage from what is available for Linux or is there is one specially done for containers?

2. If I divide a database into 2 pieces and deploy onto 2 containers, do I see any issues since now 2 versus one container queries will be going.

Please share your thoughts.

Cheers!
Arti

Vagish

Jul 21, 2015, 6:26:43 PM7/21/15
to CoreOS Dev
Some feedback on your questions :

On Tuesday, July 21, 2015 at 12:10:00 PM UTC-7, Arti wrote:
Hi:

I have couple of questions;

1. One application to be divided into multple pieces and then deploy onto each container a piece.
==> It depends on what application. Like if it is email server, web server or some other application. You should have some kind of mechanism or relationship
between the multiple pieces to stitch them together so that restart or recovery mechanism is proper.

So now 1 application is distributed among multiple containers, forming a cluster of containers.  So can we create a cluster of containers as we do clusters of VMs or machines?
==> Yes you can do that. PortWorx is trying to solve similar problem.

Would it have latency issues? Do I need to write my own cluster software for containers or can leverage from what is available for Linux or is there is one specially done for containers?
==> May be specifying the contents in yaml or json file and writing an initial back end for cluster management, you may achieve some of this or extend mesos.

2. If I divide a database into 2 pieces and deploy onto 2 containers, do I see any issues since now 2 versus one container queries will be going.
==> It would depend on how you divide the database. Do you divide them based on independent tables or limit the individual database sizes so that application
managing the multiple databases can reach a particular database copy on a particular container. The individual databases could be localized to a particular
location or geographical consideration.

Arti

Jul 21, 2015, 7:10:47 PM7/21/15
to CoreOS Dev