"Could not open Clipboard" error

Katwomyn

Jan 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/28/00
I am attempting to "cut & paste" in Quattro Pro after applying SP7 and I get
the error "Could not open Clipboard." Also, if I save the default
workbk1.wb3, I cannot start a new default session. I'm sure there is
something very simple in all this, but I can't find it.

Your assistance is greatly appreciated,
MKS

Michael Scott

Jan 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/28/00
MKS,

For your "workbk1.wb3" (I assume you really mean "notebk1.wb3"), it's a valid filename.  If QP *finds* a file with that name in the default startup directory, it will load that.  Either save your file in a different directory, or don't use that name.

Regarding your clipboard problem, this is caused by 3rd party utilities causing clipboard problems.  The below article was taken directly from Corel's knowledgebase :

Problem
======
Error "Could not open clipboard, OK" occurs when trying to cut or copy a cell in any version of Quattro Pro for Windows. The error doesn't occur in any other windows application and is not document specific.

Answer:
======
Some third party applications may cause a conflict with Quattro Pro when running in the background. Exiting the conflicting application while working in Quattro Pro may eliminate the problem.

Details:
======
Applications that may cause conflicts include the following:

1. Shareware Program called "PrintScreen" that allows the user to print a
         Windows screen as easily as printing a DOS screen.
2. Ecco Professional 3.0 for Windows by Net Manage, that allows you to
         grab objects from any screen.
 3. Clipboard Stack Manager, available through ZiffNet. The utility saves
         multiple "stacked" clipboard entries, allowing the user to paste data
         that was copied two or more "times" previous.
 4. Focal Point version 5.51 by Global Village; Focal Point is a communication
         package to include Fax, Modem, Email, and Voicemail.
 5. BackMenu, by SP
--
=====================
Michael Scott

Katwomyn

Jan 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/29/00
Thanks Michael,
I'm using none of the listed programs, but the greater question might be:
How do I fix it?

Thanks for the feedback,
MKS

"Michael Scott" <michae...@graphon.com> wrote in message

Michael Scott

Jan 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/31/00
MKS,

When you go to the Task Manager what is listed under both the 1st and 2nd tabs?
Could you post those?
--
=====================
Michael Scott

Katwomyn

Jan 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/31/00
Michael, I really, really, really appreciate your help on this and have
saved your words of wisdom for future reference BECAUSE the computer
gremlins obviously have come and gone. As mysteriously as the doggone
program stopped accepting me as the human overlord, it reversed its position
on the concept. Go figure! Usually restarting a couple of times works bugs
out on their own. This time, I guess, required a third or fourth restart.
Hmmmm,

Thanks again,
MKS

"Michael Scott" <michae...@graphon.com> wrote in message

Michael Scott

Jan 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/31/00
<LOL> Well, I'm glad you are now up and running, at least <smile>
--
=====================
Michael Scott

Trevor S

Feb 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/4/00
A plethora of download managers seem to cause the same problem.  I have that error with "Getright".  I have to remember to unload "Getright" BEFORE I edit in Qpro.  There was a post some time ago with another download manager with the same problem.

This is OBVIOUSLY something to do with QPRO as it does not affect any other app I have tried it with: Excel, Word, Photoshop, Notepad, Quickbooks, Premier, Organiser, Wordpro, Wordperfect, Quicken, Publisher etc etc etc etc

Some other guy made a comment that it was a well know problem from his days at Borland and early version of Qpro, but he was Poo Poo'ed :)

Trevor S

John Peters

Mar 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/8/00
I have found the same QPW8 "Could not open clipboard" to arise when a freeware Ziff-Davis program called "JUMPTO" is open in the background.

John Peters