pdoxusrs.lck problem

Steve Kowalsky

May 5, 2003, 10:28:16 PM5/5/03
to corel.wpoffice.paradox10

I am running Paradox 10 with Windows 2000 Pro clients. I can open a
table on the network from one machine, but no other user can then access
the table. They get a directory lock (pdoxusrs.lck). Once I close the
table another user can then access it. Help would be appreciated.

Bertil Isberg

May 6, 2003, 5:19:37 AM5/6/03
to corel.wpoffice.paradox10

To access data on a network, you have to specify a NET DIR in the BDE
configuration.

Run BDE Administrator.

Under Configuration | Drivers | Native | Paradox, there is a setting NET
DIR.

In the paradox-faq newsgroup, you can find a document on net file rules.

--
Bertil Isberg
CTECH

FAQ newsgroup: corel.wpoffice.paradox-faq
Paradox Buglist: http://www.swebug.se/sig/sig_par/index.htm

Steve Kowalsky

May 6, 2003, 8:57:54 AM5/6/03
to corel.wpoffice.paradox10

A common NET DIR location is specified for all users. The problem is
other users getting locked out of a directory when one user is accessing
a table in the same directory.

Dennis Santoro

May 6, 2003, 9:31:11 AM5/6/03
to corel.wpoffice.paradox10

Then it is not specified correctly. See the faq for details. If you have the
net dir set up correctly users will be able to share files on the net without
problems.

Denn Santoro
President
Resource Development Associates
http://www.RDAWorldWide.Com
Offices in the United States and Germany
Providing solutions to health care, business, governments and non-profits
since 1982

Carolyn Wendover

May 6, 2003, 9:27:55 AM5/6/03
to corel.wpoffice.paradox10

Also make sure that the one user is not also using that directory as their
private directory. Each private directory must be unique among users.

HTH,
Carolyn

"Steve Kowalsky" <kowa...@charter.net> wrote in message

Steven Green

May 9, 2003, 8:18:53 AM5/9/03

Craig Cox wrote:

> Make sure the BDE is set up correctly on each machine. Under
> Configuration\Drivers\Native\Paradox make sure the "Net Dir" is a
> network drive available to all users. This is just a place to hold the
> p*.lck files. Once you start Paradox, it will write them there if they
> don't exist already.

that is not correct.. the "Net Dir" folder is where the .net file (network
control file) goes.. the lock files go in the folders where the tables are, as
those folders are being used..

--

Steve Green - Diamond Software Group, Inc - Waldorf Maryland USA
Corel CTech Paradox - http://www.diamondsg.com - Support/Downloads/Links

Do you need a Sanity Check? http://www.diamondsg.com/sanity.htm
Upgrade/Downgrade versions? http://www.diamondsg.com/upgrade.htm

Steven Green

May 9, 2003, 8:19:53 AM5/9/03

Craig Cox wrote:

> If it still gives you trouble, check out Borland's website. There is a
> tech paper on tips for setting up the BDE.

there is also an excellect FAQ on that subject in the FAQ section right here..

Steve Kowalsky

May 9, 2003, 11:01:41 PM5/9/03
to corel.wpoffice.paradox10

I am able to provide more detail in order to try to resolve this
problem. First, the basics...all users point to a common NET DIR...all
have the same idapi.cfg...*.lck files have been deleted time and time
again...Opportunistic Locks have been disabled on all machines...Local
Share in On. All Paradox 10 patchs have been applied.

We have mix of Windows 2000 Professional and Windows 98 operating
systems with Pdox 10 and Pdox 8 clients. Paradox 10 is loaded only on
the Windows 2000 machines. On all machines, Paradox runs locally and
the server is used only for access and sharing of database files. The
server is running under Windows 98. Office XP Standard or Office XP
Professional is also loaded on the Windows 2000 clients.

When a PDOX 10 user opens a *.db file, an EXCLUSIVE lock is set on the
server directory where the database file resides. (PDOXUSRS.lck). Any
other PDOX 10 user cannot open the database file nor any other file in
the directory in question while the file remains open by the original
user. However, any PDOX 8 user (whether under Windows 98 or 2000 Pro)
can multiuse by opening the *.db file noted above.

In addition when a PDOX 8 user initialy opens a *.db file, any other
PDOX 8 or PDOX 10 user (whether under Windows 98 or 2000 Pro) can
multiuse by opening the *.db file noted above. There is no EXCLUSIVE
directory lock.

Bottom Line appears to be that Paradox 10 clients cannot multiuse the
same file or even work in the same directory. The fundmental question
being how to disable the EXCLUSIVE directory lock that is apparently
being applied, but that only excludes other Paradox 10 users.

Steven Green

May 10, 2003, 7:09:28 AM5/10/03

Steve Kowalsky wrote:

> server is running under Windows 98. Office XP Standard or Office XP
> Professional is also loaded on the Windows 2000 clients.

there have been many reports of problems with this configuration.. when the server is
98, and there are 2000 and/or XP workstations, problems *will* happen..

Dennis Santoro

May 10, 2003, 11:58:52 AM5/10/03
to corel.wpoffice.paradox10

Since the BDE sets the locks have you checked that all systems are using the same BDE
version (you have to check the IDAPI32.dll properties)? Also, you say everyone is
pointing to the same .net file. But are they pointing to it with the same path exactly
(only the drive letter can be different). On opening a table only a read lock should be
set. If you go into edit mode it will escalate. But no directory locks should be set
unless you do it in code. And only certain functions will set full table locks
(cfunctions for instance) so are you sure you don't have some code running to set the
locks you are reporting? Or are you sure the locks are really what you are reporting
(how are you getting the info?) Do you get any error messages?

Bertil Isberg

May 10, 2003, 5:01:00 PM5/10/03
to corel.wpoffice.paradox10

Steve

Security is handled in quite a different way in Win2000 than in Win98. My
guess is that Win2000 clients and a Win98 server is a combination that
should not be used.

--
Bertil Isberg - CTECH
FAQ newsgroup: corel.wpoffice.paradox-faq
Paradox buglist: http://www.swebug.se/sig/sig_par/index.htm

Steve Kowalsky

May 12, 2003, 5:54:35 PM5/12/03
to corel.wpoffice.paradox10

All systems are using the same BDE version.
Same path to the .net file. Users Drive P: is mapped to:
\\[Server Name]\Pdoxfile\

8.3 naming convention used. Netware is not being used.

No code running

If one user has opened a table in a paticular directory, any other user
trying to concurrently access another table in the same directory gets
an error message as follows:
Cannot Access Directory
P:\[Directory Name\PDOXUSRS.LCK

Tony McGuire

May 12, 2003, 6:16:46 PM5/12/03
to corel.wpoffice.paradox10

You SAY 'same path to the .net file', but if you look closely I'd bet there
is SOMETHING different about at least one of the machine's .net file path.

Those paths have to match EXACTLY, character for character.

And the paths can't JUST RESOLVE to the same thing. They must BE the same
thing.

Drive letter is the ONLY character that can be different from machine to
machine.

Users, you state. Is the server running Paradox as well? It must also
match EXACTLY, if so.

I'd exit all copies of Paradox and delete the .net file as well as all .lck
files on the server. Then do the same thing with EVERY workstation.

Tony

"I woke up and was able to get myself out of bed.
Being that fortunate, what's to complain about?"
_____________

Tony McGuire

May 12, 2003, 6:19:53 PM5/12/03
to corel.wpoffice.paradox10

Oh.

Then I'd start each and every workstation's copy of Paradox.

Then exit it.

Then search the local drive(s) for a wayward .net file.

Dennis Santoro

May 12, 2003, 6:26:58 PM5/12/03
to corel.wpoffice.paradox10

How is the directory aliased? It is not set up as someone's PRIV directory is it? Usually you
only get that message if there is a directory lock which does not happen by accident.
Otherwise you get "Can not Access File" Were the tables copied from a CD that was being used
for accessing the data in a RO manner by any chance? That would have required a directory
lock and might have been copied over. If it isn't any of these then it must be some
permission/rights issues but those are time consuming and annoying to troubleshoot.

Mike Irwin [CTech]

May 13, 2003, 2:28:15 PM5/13/03
to corel.wpoffice.paradox10

Steve,

go to your Win 98 machines and in the My Computer program you'll
find a Hardware manager. Keep drilling down into this until you
get to Performance and then Troubleshooting. There should be
seven (I think) check boxes to select from; the first and last
deal with file locking and should both be checked - none of the
others should be. (I'm sorry about the imprecision - I'm doing
it from memory as I've never owned a Win 9x machine, and the
setups varied from version to version, too !).

Next, do NOT make your net directory a disk root. That is, make
it "D:\PdoxCntl", not "D:\".

The next thing is to remove the files from the Win98 machine and
put them on a Win 2000 machine. It won't be much work, as you'll
only have to re-assign some aliases.

Finally, look at the file names. Win 9x and Win NT (NT/2000/XP)
use different algorithms for creating 8.3 filenames from longer
ones. The BDE uses 8.3 internally (to be compatible with people
using Win3 and DOS systems and DOS Paradox versions) so you may
be getting problems from that too. If you feel strongly about
it, do us all a favour and buy MS' OS department !

Good luck

Mike Irwin (CTech)

In article <3EBC6B95...@charter.net>, kowa...@charter.net
says...

Message has been deleted

monika...@gmail.com

Dec 18, 2014, 11:11:10 AM12/18/14
Logic that I figured out:
Paradox creates a "pdoxusrs.lck" the moment anyone opens a Table. So, technically if the file exists it means another user is accessing the table. So,
1. For NETWORK SHARED DATA USERS: I guess Setup of BDE Administrator would help .. (I did not implement this)
2. For LOCAL USERS OR USERS WHO CAN CREATE COPY OF DATA : Simply deletion of the pdoxusrs.lck (from the location mentioned in the messagebox) works ... (It just worked for me as I created a copy of the data folder and deleted the pdoxusrs.lck file)

monika...@gmail.com

Dec 18, 2014, 11:12:16 AM12/18/14