Unexpected: General Protection Violation

Maurice Williams

Feb 20, 2002, 11:51:06 PM2/20/02
to corel.wpoffice.paradox-dev

I am using an paradox runtime 7 application on a computer to computer
network. While I am using a specific form, I get a general protection .
The error only occurs when I have the "Local Share" setting in the BDE
System-INIT configuration set to "True". It does not occur when it is set
to false. Why? and How do I fix the problem? I am running BDE 5.01.

Thank you,

Maurice
JAWZ.net LLC
1701 West Broward Blvd
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33312
(954) 462 - JAWZ (5299)
Fax: (954) 462 - 0412
sa...@jawz.net

Bertil Isberg

Feb 21, 2002, 3:05:48 AM2/21/02
to corel.wpoffice.paradox-dev

Exactly when do you get the GPV?

Add a breakpoint to your code and step through it.

I have never herad of such a problem related to the LocalShare setting.

--
Bertil Isberg
CTECH

Jim Gieseke

Feb 28, 2002, 10:06:12 PM2/28/02
to corel.wpoffice.paradox-dev

I would try upgrading to Paradox Runtime 9 or 10 before I tried anything else.
THey made a lot of improvements. WHat is your OS? Window 98, NT, 2000?

-Jim Gieseke
dataBasyx, Inc.

Anders Jonsson

Mar 1, 2002, 2:08:07 AM3/1/02
to corel.wpoffice.paradox-dev

Jim,

I would try anything else before upgrading :-)

Seriously, if Maurice only have problem with a single form upgrading might
be overkill and could bring a lot of other things that need to be adjusted.

Maurice, I have never heard that local share would make a difference for a
general protection error. Do you get the error when you open the form or
when you run some specific code in it?

Anders

"Jim Gieseke" <jim...@voicenet.com> skrev i meddelandet

Harjun Williams

Apr 17, 2002, 1:25:47 PM4/17/02
to corel.wpoffice.paradox-dev

I get the error when I run some specific codes in it.

Maurice

"Anders Jonsson" <in...@jonssondata.se> wrote in message

> Jim,
>
> I would try anything else before upgrading :-)
>
> Seriously, if Maurice only have problem with a single form upgrading might
> be overkill and could bring a lot of other things that need to be
adjusted.

> Maurice, I have never heard that local share would make a difference for a
> general protection error. Do you get the error when you open the form or
> when you run some specific code in it?
>
> Anders
>

> "Jim Gieseke" <jim...@voicenet.com> skrev i meddelandet
> >
> > I would try upgrading to Paradox Runtime 9 or 10 before I tried anything
> else.
> > THey made a lot of improvements. WHat is your OS? Window 98, NT, 2000?
> >
> > -Jim Gieseke
> > dataBasyx, Inc.
> >

> > Maurice Williams wrote:
> >
> > > I am using an paradox runtime 7 application on a computer to computer
> > > network. While I am using a specific form, I get a general protection

..

Harjun Williams

Apr 17, 2002, 1:37:15 PM4/17/02
to corel.wpoffice.paradox-dev

I should add that I recently upgraded my OS to Windows XP. I was told from
another source that the error might be in my netork, so I upgraded to XP
(initially suppose to be 2000, but I heard great things about XP). Now I am
having a new problem on top of my initial one. The new problem is posted
below, but here is a copy of the message:

>Hello,

>I have a peer to peer network, with XP running on the >servier/client and
XP
>and 98 running on the workstation. When I use >Paradox on the 98 platform
it
>works fine, but when I try the same program on XP I >get the error message,
>"Directory is controlled by other .NET file."
> I can't seem to figure out why. What can I do?

>Maurice

I am a lost cause! :)

Maurice

"Jim Gieseke" <jim...@voicenet.com> wrote in message

Dennis Santoro

Apr 17, 2002, 11:44:41 AM4/17/02
to corel.wpoffice.paradox-dev

You need to show us the code. You also need to tell us if it is P7 16 or 32. You
also MUST have local share to true if you are sharing data. And make sure you
have the BDE upgraded from the one that came with P7 to a more recent one if you
are dealing with P7-32.

But fix your other network problems first and try and keep threads to one
location and don't mix problems unless they are really related.

Denn Santoro
President
Resource Development Associates
http://www.RDAWorldWide.Com
Offices in the United States and Germany
Providing solutions to health care, business, governments and non-profits since
1982