Cooperative Maine Business Alliance Progress Report

Robert Levine

Aug 11, 2017, 10:48:24 AM8/11/17
to Cooperative Maine | CooperativeMaine.org
Hi everyone. For those of you who attended the last principle 6 conference this past Spring you might remember that we voted to change the group’s name from Cooperative Maine to the Cooperative Maine Business Alliance.

I'd like to take a moment to update you on our progress. The steering committee selected at the conference is Katie Lawson, Emmy Anderson, John Crane, Doug Johnson, Jonah Fertig, Rob Brown and me. So far, we have had three meetings.

We have assigned the following roles:

CMBA co-chairs: Doug and Bob
Secretary: Katie
Treasurer: Emmy

We have completed some planning for a table at the Common Ground Fair, for Co-op Month in October, and for co-op outreach and engagement. Our next step is to refine a mission statement and we'd like to ask for your input. The draft mission we’re starting with is:

The mission of the CMBA is to improve the success and sustainability of cooperatives in Maine through peer-to-peer technical assistance, mentoring and networking, and through public education, organizing and advocacy that strengthens our cooperative economy.

Please let me know if you have suggestions for the statement and we will review all feedback at the next steering committee meeting. It is important to us that this effort is member driven.

We also need volunteers to staff the table at Common Ground. Please sign up here to volunteer for tabling shifts at the Common Ground Fair by Friday, Sept. 8!

And if your co-op is planning anything for Co-op Month, or if you’re willing to help coordinate Co-op Month, please contact Rob Brown rbr...@cdi.coop.

Deborah Hawkins

Aug 11, 2017, 5:15:36 PM8/11/17
to 'Robert Levine' via Cooperative Maine | CooperativeMaine.org
Hi Robert,
Was there supposed to be a link to sign up for tabling shifts?  In lieu of that, I can be at the table on Sunday from 11-3.  My talk on Cooperative Financing is at 4:00.  If there is an online place for this, I will fill it in as soon as I get the link.
Thank you,
Deborah Hawkins
Cooperative Fund of New England

Zafra Whitcomb

Aug 11, 2017, 10:08:56 PM8/11/17
to cooperat...@googlegroups.com
Nice work on the mission statement. I think it's great!

For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/cooperativemaine?hl=en

http://groups.google.com/group/co-op-work?hl=en

========================
FMI on Cooperative Maine:

http://www.cooperativemaine.org

in...@cooperativemaine.org

Larry D

Aug 12, 2017, 3:53:51 PM8/12/17
to coop maine list serve list serve
Thank you for these notes. I knew nothing about the name change and structure change until receiving these.

Who is “me?” I don’t know who sent these notes and is part of the steering committee. Please clarify so we know who did these notes and sent them. Is it Robert Levine? It is good for someone doing notes to sign their name to them so we know who to contact if there are questions or changes in the notes.

If the group is now “Cooperative Maine Business Alliance,” does it still include housing cooperatives, for example, which may not think of themselves as businesses? Or community land trusts? Or nonprofit groups? How will any cooperative that does not identify itself primarily as a business feel welcome in this newly named organization?

I don’t have any strong feelings about the mission statement but it seems fine to me. Part of the original purpose of Cooperative Maine was simply to raise the level of awareness, visibility, and legitimacy of cooperatives as an important part of the Maine economy. I think that is reflected in the new statement.

For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/cooperativemaine?hl=en

http://groups.google.com/group/co-op-work?hl=en

========================
FMI on Cooperative Maine:

http://www.cooperativemaine.org

in...@cooperativemaine.org

Rob Brown

Aug 14, 2017, 12:12:48 PM8/14/17
to cooperat...@googlegroups.com

Deborah,

Yes, the link got lost in that email.  If you can volunteer for a tabling shift at CGF, please sign up here

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Ixutdkb8Eh2v3KgpEaBY46i1KPUUhl48BWhe_dsUUbU/edit#gid=0

It goes best when there are 2 ppl at a shift, so sign up with a buddy!

Rob

cooperativemai...@googlegroups.com

For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/cooperativemaine?hl=en

========================
FMI on Cooperative Maine:

http://www.cooperativemaine.org
www.maine.coop

in...@cooperativemaine.org

Jonah Fertig

Aug 15, 2017, 9:24:10 AM8/15/17
to cooperat...@googlegroups.com
Larry,
The name change was decided at this year's Principle Six conference.  We had a bunch of different name possibilities (including keeping the original name) and this got the most votes from any of them by far. By having a new name, we are indicating a new phase of Cooperative Maine and folks wanted to include business in the name because cooperatives are businesses and this name shift more clearly demonstrate that to others.  While some cooperatives may not strongly identify as a business, the majority of folks at the conference this year (which included housing co-op members) felt this name shift was a good reflection on our new stage.  We also thought with this name, that we could still informally shorten it to Cooperative Maine as well.
Cooperative Maine Business Alliance is open to all cooperatives to join and also open to other organizations, individuals, businesses, and supporters to join.  The Steering Committee will also be working on a membership structure for Cooperative Maine Business Alliance that we hope to roll out this fall with a membership drive.  So to your specific questions, yes Housing Cooperatives are definitely invited to join and Community Land Trusts and Non-Profits could become members as well if they support the mission and work of Cooperative Maine.
Robert Levine and Doug Johnson are the co-chairs of the Steering Committee of Cooperative Maine Business Alliance.

In Cooperation,
Jonah

-----
Jonah Fertig

Director of Cooperative Food Systems

Maine Food Strategy- Steering Committee

jfe...@cdi.coop
207-615-9970

On Aug 11, 2017, at 10:48 AM, 'Robert Levine' via Cooperative Maine | CooperativeMaine.org <cooperativemaine@googlegroups.com> wrote:

[...]

Jon Olsen

Aug 26, 2017, 11:37:54 PM8/26/17
to cooperat...@googlegroups.com
Encouraging report from the Deep South Posted in today's Popular
Resistance (.org) FYI Jon

Arkansas Farmers Join Cooperatives to Make Small Farming Possible
Cows on a farm. Photograph courtesy of Bryan Clifton.
Create! Agrticulture, Cooperatives, Farmers, Food, New Economy, Worker
Cooperatives
By Staff, www.foodtank.com
August 25th, 2017
Powered by Google TranslateTranslate
6
Print Friendly

Photograph courtesy of Bryan Clifton.

In addition to providing fresh produce and meat for families in
Arkansas, New South Produce Cooperative and Grassroots Farmer’s
Cooperative supply financial and agricultural support for their member
farms. Based in Little Rock and Clinton, respectively, these
farmer-owned and operated co-ops connect members to distribution
networks, provide technical assistance, and help small farmers raise
capital as a collective.

Arkansas ranks among the least food secure states in America. Data
from the Center for American Progress shows the average percentage of
Arkansas households who were food insecure from 2013 to 2015 was 19.2
percent, the second highest rate in the country. Farmer-owned
cooperatives help address the root problems of poverty and hunger in
Arkansas, not only by making fresh produce and meat more accessible to
local communities, but also by creating a significant number of jobs.

New South and Grassroots were developed as a solution for farmers who
had successfully started their own farming operations but were having
trouble getting their products from pasture to plate. Members of the
co-ops sell directly to their cooperatives, which can then market and
sell large amounts of produce or meat.

Ben Maddox, manager at New South, says, “Arkansas, and the South in
general, is an incredibly rich agricultural area that is, for the most
part, lacking in solid support services for organic farmers. We see
ourselves as a market-based solution to this problem that can not only
support farmers through increased sales but also act as a collective
advocate for the rights, needs, and issues of small organic farms.”

Cody Hopkins, general manager of Grassroots and owner of a Grassroots
founding member farm called Falling Sky Farm, said the co-op has been
well-received by small farmers in the region. “A lot of farmers who
were doing their own independent business have joined Grassroots and
turned over their entire salesbase to us because it’s a much more
efficient way of doing business, and it allows them to really focus on
what they want to be doing, which is farming.”

The co-ops were given financial support from Heifer USA, which is
working to help states achieve food security through organic farming
cooperatives and farmer-to-farmer mentorship programs. Heifer
International is best known for its work overseas in developing
nations, but its USA initiative has made an impact in the South. In
addition to marketing know-how and development support, Heifer
contributed US$3 million to Grassroots to help it grow as an
organization.

“In total, we’ve created close to 30 jobs, which is a big deal in
rural Arkansas, and that’s not including the individual farms and the
impact they’re having on their communities,” Hopkins said.

The cooperatives both operate with the understanding that engaging the
future generation of farmers is essential to maintaining food security
in Arkansas. “We believe that to really address the barriers to
accessing healthy food, you have got to start with the root causes of
poverty and unemployment that dominate our rural landscape. For that
reason, our focus is on building a company that can support farmer
livelihoods and good jobs through sustainable agriculture,” Maddox
said.

Sara Brown, business development officer at Heifer USA, says the
success of the farmer-owned cooperative model in Arkansas is due in
part to national marketplace demand. “Americans want pasture-raised
livestock and Certified Naturally Grown and Certified Organic produce,
and food distributors are looking to give them that. We want to
encourage more farmers to farm sustainably, not only because it will
make them a viable livelihood, but also because it is better for our
bodies and our environment,” Brown said.

Heifer USA plans to continue developing its cooperative model in
Southern Appalachiaand the Arkansas Delta, two of the poorest regions
in the country. The company is also evaluating the viability of
starting cooperative projects in the Northeast. Whether Heifer is
working in Arkansas or Zambia, Brown says, “the root of this work is
that bringing together communities and individuals that share values,
goals, and passions for change can empower each other to become
resilient.”
> *Jonah Fertig*
>
> *Director of Cooperative Food Systems *
> *Cooperative Development Institute <http://www.cdi.coop/>*
>
> *Celebration Tree Farm <http://www.celebrationtreefarm.com> & Yoga
> <http://www.celebrationtreefarm.com>- *co-owner
> Maine Farm & Sea Cooperative <http://www.mainefarmandsea.coop/>- *Board
> Member*
> *Cooperative Fund of New England <http://www.coopfund.coop>-** Board
> Member*
> *Maine Food Strategy* <http://www.mainefoodstrategy.org>- *Steering
> Committee*
> *Good Food Council of Lewiston-Auburn* <http://www.goodfood4la.org>-
> *Councilor*
>> CooperativeMaine.org <http://cooperativemaine.org> <cooperativemaine@

>> cooperativemai...@googlegroups.com
>>
>> For more options, visit this group at
>> http://groups.google.com/group/cooperativemaine?hl=en

>> listserv, visit:
>>
>> http://groups.google.com/group/co-op-work?hl=en
>>
>> ========================
>> FMI on Cooperative Maine:
>>
>> http://www.cooperativemaine.org
>>
>> in...@cooperativemaine.org

>> --

>> http://groups.google.com/group/cooperativemaine?hl=en
>>
>> ========================
>> FMI on Cooperative Maine:
>>
>> http://www.cooperativemaine.org
>> www.maine.coop
>>
>> in...@cooperativemaine.org

> --
>
> For more options, visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/cooperativemaine?hl=en
>
> ========================
> FMI on Cooperative Maine:
>
> http://www.cooperativemaine.org
> www.maine.coop
>
> in...@cooperativemaine.org

Mark Sprackland

Aug 27, 2017, 10:13:48 AM8/27/17
to cooperat...@googlegroups.com

Please see attached. CMM product is being sold throughout Maine in: Schools, hospitals, and at other statewide institutions. A case ready protein program is now being sold/tested in 5 local Maine grocery stores. Two of the grocery stores are worker owned co-ops and the other stores are locally owned by independent grocers that share similar values as co-ops.

Mark A. Sprackland
Executive Director
Independent Retailers
Shared Services Cooperative

603-706-0868
ma...@independentretailerscoop.com
www.independentretailerscoop.com
Banner 3.pdf

Larry D

Aug 27, 2017, 7:19:16 PM8/27/17
to coop maine list serve list serve
Thanks for this article, Jon.

What farmers in Arkansas have done brings up a question: Is cooperation something that would benefit Maine farmers, especially small, organic farmers? Granted, they already have Fedco and MOFGA as very valuable allies in bringing down costs and promoting organic agriculture and the benefits of buying local. But, would forming some kind of cooperative offer benefits and advantages they don’t already have?

Has anyone surveyed farmers about this? What, if anything, are they lacking now in effectively and efficiently producing and selling food? Is state government doing its part? Or, is it better not to depend on the state, but rather do it ourselves? Anyone have information on this?

Talked to a couple of farmers today at a farmers’ market. One thing they don’t have is a good deal on health insurance (being a farmer is harder on the body than a lot of jobs). Neither MOFGA nor the Maine Federation of Farmers’ Markets has apparently come up with something for them, but maybe a farmers’ cooperative could do that. Or maybe one of these two groups should come up with something.

Angela Faneuf

Aug 27, 2017, 7:23:54 PM8/27/17
to cooperat...@googlegroups.com
We'd love to start a conversation about cooperative health insurance.

Anyone have any insight or information?

Thank you,

Angela Faneuf
Farming Artists Cooperative

[...]

geo lincoln

Aug 27, 2017, 8:52:50 PM8/27/17
to cooperat...@googlegroups.com

we r farming artists TOO!!! -where do u do that?---george. see ya at CG?

Sent from Outlook

Aug 27, 2017, 8:54:46 PM8/27/17
to cooperat...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mark,
What is CMM product?

Brad Sherwood   207-212-1803

Brad Sherwood

Aug 27, 2017, 9:07:03 PM8/27/17
to cooperat...@googlegroups.com
Health Insurance:

We do have a form of cooperative health insurance already through Community Health Options.  Perhaps we should be talking about health system ownership, where the consumers own the system through a cooperative and the providers work for the consumers.  There are doctors that will work for lower pay because they dislike the system they are in.  At least two doctors in Maine do not accept insurance but use a subscription model.  The one in Fayette charges $60/month and therefore is incentivized to prevent her patients from unnecessary visits but she then loses money, rather than pay per visit which rewards doctors to make sure the patients are not healed, but need to return.

Brad Sherwood   207-212-1803

Angela Faneuf

Aug 27, 2017, 9:07:09 PM8/27/17
to cooperat...@googlegroups.com
We are in Blue Hill. We are in the process of developing cooperative business and Ecovillage.

Hoping to make it to CG. We've got a lot cooking over the next couple of months here though. You might find it interesting. Here's a link with more details

Sent: Sunday, August 27, 2017 11:23:52 PM
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cooperativemaine+unsubscribe...@googlegroups.com.

geo lincoln

Aug 27, 2017, 9:30:03 PM8/27/17
to cooperat...@googlegroups.com

can we stop by visit aft fair??? on way to bah habah???-went to nearings ORIG VT PLACE!!!

Sent from Outlook

Aug 27, 2017, 9:34:15 PM8/27/17
to cooperat...@googlegroups.com

this sounds so beautiful!--it is where we r at too!--as were my parents in 40s like the nearings!!!!-out of greenwich VLG to VT back to land!!!

Sent from Outlook

Aug 27, 2017, 9:39:29 PM8/27/17
to cooperat...@googlegroups.com
Wow that's great! Where are you located?

We'd love to have you stop by after the fair.

Sent: Monday, August 28, 2017 1:07:06 AM

Mark Sprackland

Aug 28, 2017, 7:36:44 AM8/28/17
to cooperat...@googlegroups.com

Central Maine Meats (CMM) is a USDA inspected Meat Slaughtering and Processing Facilities of Raw, Smoked and Ready to Eat (RTE) meats. Central Maine Meats is located in Gardiner, Maine. They process animals such as cows, pigs and lamb.  The animals are delivered live to their slaughter facility at the Libby Hill Business Park.  They harvest the animal and process the hanging meat into consumer ready products, such as steaks, kabobs, ground beef, ground lamb, sausage, and ham.

Link to their website:

http://www.centralmainemeats.com/

Aug 28, 2017, 9:10:00 AM8/28/17
to cooperat...@googlegroups.com
Hi, all-

I’ve heard there is an insurance company in western Maine that is in the process of becoming a cooperative Don’t think they have publicly announced yet, but once they do, it seems like some conversation with them would make lots of sense.

As far as other farm co-op initiatives, Crown of Maine is a growers co-op, and I think the Unity Food Hub has some cooperative foundations as well.  Here in western Maine, we’ve explored options for a wholesale distribution cooperative (looking at models in northern NH and Vermont) but so far the “scaling up” capacity of most local farms has not reached wholesale thresholds well enough to support a cooperative.

Would be interested in hearing about other initiatives in Maine.

Ken Morse

Community Food Strategies

Coordinator, Maine Network of Community Food Councils
Leadership Team, Maine Farm to Institution

For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/cooperativemaine?hl=en

========================
FMI on Cooperative Maine:

http://www.cooperativemaine.org
www.maine.coop

in...@cooperativemaine.org

Brad Sherwood

Aug 28, 2017, 12:49:25 PM8/28/17
to cooperat...@googlegroups.com
I am scheduled to table at the cgf Saturday and Sunday afternoons for this group.  Also in Belfast most weekends.

Cooperative businesses:  There are a lot of possibilities for that and changing the economy to broad based ownership.  I am thinking of a statewide economic development cooperative.

Brad Sherwood   207-212-1803