Cookie Control Version 6 is now released

Greg Rouchotas

Aug 6, 2013, 3:31:47 AM8/6/13
to cookie...@googlegroups.com
Version 6 of Cookie Control has been released!!!!

Based on your feedback we have some nice new features which make it easier to use, more flexible and more functional:

Choose your user interface
In addition to Cookie Control's classic, corner pop-up, you can bow choose a bar that displays at the top of your screen, or a bar that displays at the foot of your screen.

Stateful buttons
The last version of Cookie Control introduced slider "on/off" buttons. User feedback showed that these could be better. Instead, we've introduced stateful buttons. How these appear is determined by the deployment model you select. In explicit mode, if cookies are off, there is one simple button labelled "turn cookies on". If cookies are on, there is one simple button saying "turn cookies off".

This removes a bit of ambiguity and clutter from the user interface.

Geolocation
We've been relying on the excellent service provided by www.geoplugin.com to provide location awareness for Cookie Control - enabling you to specify which countries it displays in. To avoid wearing out our welcome with that service we're bringing geolocation in-house. This will be a more integrated part of Cookie Control, and SSL will be available for those who need it.

Policy awareness
Cookie Control will now check for a policy version. If you're cookies policy has changed, Cookie Control will reset itself, enabling users to be prompted to accept Cookies once more.

Easier to edit text
You can now define all of Cookie Control's button labels, alert messages etc using initialisation parameters. This makes it a whole lot easier to change the default language of Cookie Control.

No more Base64
The Base64 images were nice in their way - it meant no image assets to deal with. But it also made it more complicated to customise Cookie Control than perhaps it needs to be. So in version we serve a single image sprite file from CIVIC's servers. There's a very good chance that most visitors to your site will have this cached already, so it won't affect performance.

Auto-delete cookies
Webmasters can now enable auto-delete of cookies. This is the cheap and cheerful way of removing cookies if you're using the Implied Consent or Explicit Consent deployment models, when a user opts out of cookies. It's not ideal for every site though, as it won't be able to interact with third party cookies dropped via your site.

As always we welcome your feedback!

Adrian Hall

Sep 4, 2013, 6:54:27 AM9/4/13
to cookie...@googlegroups.com
Folks,
I've just installed this on my domain and IE users are receiving a stack overflow / out of memory error from cookieControl-6.0.min.js

// cookieControl version 6.0 (2013-08-23, R225, greg)
// Copyright (c) 2013 Civic UK (http://www.civicuk.com/cookie-law/)
if(!Array.prototype.indexOf){Array.prototype.indexOf=function(a){return jQuery.inArray(a,this)}}................

Any thoughts?

Regards,
Adrian

Greg Rouchotas

Sep 4, 2013, 7:08:30 AM9/4/13
to cookie...@googlegroups.com
Hi Adrian,

Can you send me the URL please so that I can have a look?

Thanks
Greg

Adrian Hall

Sep 4, 2013, 7:36:42 AM9/4/13
to cookie...@googlegroups.com

Greg Rouchotas

Sep 4, 2013, 8:45:12 AM9/4/13
to cookie...@googlegroups.com
Hi Adrian,

I would suggest that you try upgrading to cookie control 6.1 as it has some IE8 fixes You can download it from here http://www.civicuk.com/cookie-law/downloads/cookieControl-6.1.min.js

The error seems to be some kind of javascript conflict in IE8 alone not in any of the later IE versions.
We have tested Cookie Control on IE8 and it works fine for us. So I suspect it's an IE8 specific conflict with one of your scripts.

hope this helps,

Greg

Adrian Hall

Sep 4, 2013, 9:07:14 AM9/4/13
to cookie...@googlegroups.com
Cheers Greg I will definitely give that a try.
However, and I apologise for not saying earlier, this error was in IE7.
But I will also have a look at my other scripts on the affected pages and see if I can spot anything.
Many thanks for your time.

Regards,
Adrian

Greg Rouchotas

Sep 5, 2013, 7:19:38 AM9/5/13
to cookie...@googlegroups.com
Hi Adrian,

Can you please download the new version of cookie control that was released this morning from here
Please check that the first line of the file says
 // cookieControl version 6.1 (2013-09-05, R229,

We've added some an additional fix for this issue. I think the new version will solve your issue.

Thanks
Greg

Adrian Hall

Sep 5, 2013, 1:54:55 PM9/5/13
to cookie...@googlegroups.com
Excellent Greg thanks, that has fixed it.

And my compliments on your prompt and efficient support.

Best Regards,
Adrian Hall
----------------------------------
THE UK Model Shops Directory
BINGLING: 'Model Exhibitions'
          FIRST in 12 Million
----------------------------------
The LARGEST Online resource for
British Model Railway enthusiasts.
http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk

Frontline Church

Sep 16, 2013, 5:47:31 AM9/16/13
to cookie...@googlegroups.com
We have updated Cookie control on our wordpress site and added the API key but cookie control isn't showing up at the front end of the site any more since this update. Ideas? http://www.frontline.org.uk

Richard Carter

Oct 20, 2015, 10:15:29 AM10/20/15
to Cookie Control Support
Hi Greg,

I am implementing Cookie Control via GTM, but the page seems to flicker for a split-second then the page hangs on a white page as if trying to load content, with a message saying EITHER 'waiting for apikeys.civiccomputing.com...' OR 'waiting for secure.brightcove.net...'

There is a brightcove video embedded on the page, so this may be affecting functionality, but the error only appears when I add the Cookie Control code to the page.

Thanks very much for anyone's help!

Jeroen G

May 9, 2016, 1:28:42 PM5/9/16
to Cookie Control Support
Maybe make this post non-sticky and replace it with a new post for version 7???