Wordpress plugin setup

Jean-Philippe Stanway

Apr 26, 2018, 5:39:58 AM4/26/18
to Cookie Control Support
Hi,

I have previously used Cookie Control but have just downloaded v8 and struggling to set it up to work on my Wordpress site. I've started to complete the category fields but unsure what to complete in some of the fields and do I need to insert some scripts to enable it to appear on the site?

Could someone either guide me or point me to a step-by-step guide, as I feel I am missing something especially as I don't seem to remember having issues installing the previous version.

Thanks

J-P

Afroditi

Apr 26, 2018, 5:46:06 AM4/26/18
to Cookie Control Support
Hello J-P,
the new version of the cookie control plugin is different from the previous one to meet the GDPR requirements.
You need to set up the cookies categories used by your site, to ensure user compliance.
Please read the documentation oh the plugin found here https://www.civicuk.com/cookie-control/v8/download to guide you setting up the first category (if you use analytics, you could start with it).
Best Regards
Afroditi

Jean-Philippe Stanway

Apr 26, 2018, 6:23:46 AM4/26/18
to Cookie Control Support
Hi Afroditi,

Thank you for getting back to me, I had managed to download the plugin using the form via the link you sent through and started to complete the first category with the following details:

Cookie name: Analytics
Cookie label: Analytical cookies
Cookie description: Analytical cookies help us to improve our website by collecting and reporting information on its usage
Cookies: '_ga', '_gid', '_gat', '__utma', '__utmt', '__utmb', '__utmc', '__utmz', '__utmv'
Third party cookie: Google Analytics

But what do I insert into the following two fields 'On accept callback function' and 'On revoke callback function'

Also do I need to insert some code into my <head> or <body>?

Thanks

J-P

Afroditi

Apr 26, 2018, 6:27:09 AM4/26/18
to Cookie Control Support
Hello J-P,
you don't need to insert any code into head or body, the plugin will do that for you.
There is demo code for the onAccept and onRevoke functions here https://www.civicuk.com/cookie-control/v8/documentation.
In case of analytics you have to replace UA-XXXXX-Y with your site's analytics id.
Best Regards
Afroditi

Jean-Philippe Stanway

Apr 26, 2018, 8:19:58 AM4/26/18
to Cookie Control Support
Hi Afroditi,

Thank you for your help, but have also realised that part of my issue is that I'm currently working on our test sever and therefore the domain I have registered is not the one I'm currently working on.

Although I have just updated my records and there is still no sign of the consent form, do you know how long I should wait for the domain setting to update? Is it only with Civic I need to update or is there somewhere within the app to do so?

Thanks

J-P

Afroditi

Apr 26, 2018, 8:40:19 AM4/26/18
to Cookie Control Support
Hello J-P,
please note that every cookie community licence applies only to one domain. So you propably need to get one for your live and one for your dev site.
Please also note that you cannot use it with local instances.
Best Regards
Afroditi

Rory Jenkins

May 15, 2018, 9:07:51 AM5/15/18
to Cookie Control Support
Hi,

I'm hopefully just missing something simple, but at the moment I can't get it to work.
I've filled out the Community Edition route.
Got, via email, my API key, that is linked to the domain name.
It's a Wordpress site, so I've downloaded and installed the "Cookie Control 8" plugin.
I then go to the 'Settings' for this and I'm repeat trying to add the details, but I keep on getting the "It is required to add at least a cookie category." notice

I've added:
Cookie name: Analytics
Cookie label: Analytical cookies
Cookie description: Analytical cookies help us to improve our website by collecting and reporting information on its usage.
Cookies: '_ga', '_gid', '_gat', '__utma', '__utmt', '__utmb', '__utmc', '__utmz', '__utmv'
Third party cookies: Google Analytics
On accept callback function: I copy pasted the example but put our sites analytics ID where it had UA-XXXXX-Y
On revoke callback function: I copy pasted the example but put our sites analytics ID where it had UA-XXXXX-Y
Initial Consent State: Off

If I then go to "Save Settings" and I still get the "warning It is required to add at least a cookie category."

What am I doing wrong ?
Thanks

Rory

Afroditi

May 15, 2018, 9:12:20 AM5/15/18
to Cookie Control Support
Hello Rory,
could you paste here your site's url to have a look.
The message about adding at least a cookie category has informative role, so I guess if there is not another configuration error, the plugin should work as expected.

Best Regards
Afroditi

Rory Jenkins

May 15, 2018, 12:01:29 PM5/15/18
to Cookie Control Support
Hi Afroditi,
Thank you for the fast reply.
The Website in question is www.roryjenkins.com.

I also have this notice coming up:
"We recommend that you add any plugins that may set third party cookies to the appropriate category's onAccept function, so that they only run after a user has given their consent. Similarly, the onRevoke function could be used to stop the plugin; though this would be dependent on the plugin offering such methods. How to do this specifically will depend on the plugin itself."

I know that the Twitter feed plugin (Twiget Twitter Widget) means I have the Twitter cookies on the site, but when I turn that plug-in off, it still doesn't work?

Regards

Rory

Rory Jenkins

May 15, 2018, 4:29:59 PM5/15/18
to Cookie Control Support
Hi,
I've moved on to testing alternative plug-ins for the cookie notice.
Thankyou
Rory

Afroditi

May 16, 2018, 4:28:25 AM5/16/18
to Cookie Control Support
Hello Rory,
I see you inserted wrong information in the third party cookies field.
Since your cookie category is Google analytics you don't need to add an opt out link.
In case you need to add opt out link this should have the following format
{"name": "AddThis", "optOutLink": "http://www.addthis.com/privacy/opt-out"}

If you empty this field the plugin will work as expected.

Best Regards
Afroditi

Nicky

Jul 3, 2018, 10:49:39 AM7/3/18
to Cookie Control Support
Hi,

I have the same problem and have followed your advice to no avail.

Regards,

Nicola