Safari Support

Steve Upchurch

Dec 10, 2013, 2:52:08 PM12/10/13
to cookie...@googlegroups.com
I am using cookie control 6.2 and it looks completely different in Safari.

If I visit the http://www.civicuk.com/ website in Chrome, the top bar displays the cookie control logo, the "This site uses cookies to store information on your computer" message, an Information and Settings link and the "I'm fine with this" button.

In Safari it just displays the cookie control icon, a plus button and the green I'm fine with this button.

Steve Upchurch

Dec 11, 2013, 4:22:43 PM12/11/13
to cookie...@googlegroups.com
Screen shot attached.
Screen Shot 2013-12-11 at 21.21.16.png

Steve Upchurch

Dec 11, 2013, 4:23:46 PM12/11/13
to cookie...@googlegroups.com
Above I have attached a screen shot of how it looks in Safari 7 on the desktop. It also appears like this on iOS 7. Safari

Greg Rouchotas

Dec 12, 2013, 12:43:58 PM12/12/13
to cookie...@googlegroups.com
The issue has been fixed. We've just released a new patch that fixes the problem.
Can you please download the latest version (R449) from here http://www.civicuk.com/cookie-law/downloads/cookieControl-6.2.min.js
and let me know if it works

Thanks
Greg

Steve Upchurch

Dec 12, 2013, 3:25:20 PM12/12/13
to cookie...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the reply.

It still looks the same to me. Both http://www.civicuk.com and the using the JS file you linked to. I cleared my browser cache before testing this.

Should it be 6.2 or an updated version number?

Thanks

Steve Upchurch

Jan 15, 2014, 4:22:12 PM1/15/14
to cookie...@googlegroups.com
Any update on this?

Andrew Forkgen

Feb 24, 2014, 8:18:16 AM2/24/14
to cookie...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

We are facing the same issue with one of our sites. Did anyone get to the bottom of the Safari issues?

Thanks,

Andy.

Steven Tuffin

Feb 24, 2014, 8:34:30 AM2/24/14
to cookie...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andrew,

The latest version of Safari (only available on Mac) altered how certain media queries were processed, and as a consequence meant that the mobile layout is now constantly visible in this browser.

As it currently stands, all other browsers render the desktop and mobile versions of the cookie control widget accordingly, regardless of whether the site itself is responsive. The main negative to this approach is as Steve highlighted, the desktop rendering of the widget in the latest version of Safari on Mac.

If you could let me know the URL of your site I will have a look at how it has been built and let you know the most appropriate fix.

Regards,
Steve

Andrew Forkgen

Feb 24, 2014, 8:41:10 AM2/24/14
to cookie...@googlegroups.com
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the rapid response, all makes sense.  We have a test page up and running at http://www.jumplit.com/index2.html (the current live page is using the free version).  We also want to de-brand and alter some styling (remove the shadow on the bar, change fonts) at some point too, but that can happen in the future, getting Safari working is probably the biggest priority and we can work from there.

Thanks,

Andy.

Steven Tuffin

Feb 24, 2014, 9:31:54 AM2/24/14
to cookie...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andy,

As your website is already responsive in nature, we can resolve the issues with Safari (desktop) without losing any mobile support.

For your convenience I will send you an updated copy of the Cookie Control script by email, though for general reference if the site is already responsive, all that needs altering is the second set of media queries in the cookie control script.

ie, @media only screen and (max-width:768px), and (max-device-width:768px) becomes @media only screen and (max-width:768px)

Thanks,
Steve

Steve Upchurch

Mar 22, 2014, 5:47:14 AM3/22/14
to cookie...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Thanks, changing the media query as above fixes the issue in Safari on the desktop. I must admit I don't like the way the cookie control top banner appears on a small screen, but I will attempt to alter that with styling.

Thanks