Visitor changes their mind - how can they revoke or accept?

Adam Helman

Oct 8, 2017, 7:35:10 AM10/8/17
to Cookie Control Support
Hi

When using the bar widget - if someone as has visited the site and accepted, the bar then disappears (fine). However, even if you have configured for the widget to always show, it doesn't. I was hoping that even when using "bar", and if set to always be visible then at least the "triangle" or whatever would still be there so a visitor can change their options easily anytime.

So, if using the bar format, how does a visitor get back in at a later date to change their mind?

Thanks

Gerasimos Tzoganis

Dec 8, 2017, 3:24:57 AM12/8/17
to Cookie Control Support
Hi Adam,

At the moment, this is not possible out of the box. When you have consented the bar hides itself. What you could do is set the
cookieExpiry

property to something too small, like 1 (day) or even 0. Then the cookie that keeps the consent will expire soon and so the widget will show again.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Gerasimos

Adam Helman

Dec 8, 2017, 7:15:54 AM12/8/17
to Cookie Control Support
Ok Thanks.

What I was hoping for was knowing of a call / hook I could make that I can perhaps tie to a button or link in my cookie policy, or maybe to a footer menu item. Something like "revoke cookies" which, when clicked, turns off cookies. The bar would then reappear (because cookies are now off). Or even maybe have an option that once cookies are accepted on the bar, it reduces (optionally) to just a persistent non-bar icon that can be clicked at any time to revoke cookies. If revoked that icon reverts back to a bar maybe.

The thing is GDPR wants users to be able to opt out of stuff as easy as it is to opt in, at any point, i.e not just at the point of acceptance. My understanding is that GDPR doesn't accept that a user's only option to revoke cookies should be by going through browser settings to clear them. So that's where I'm coming from and if that's something you guys can consider implementing that would be great.

Thanks

Gerasimos Tzoganis

Dec 8, 2017, 7:23:41 AM12/8/17
to Cookie Control Support
Hi Adam,

We have scheduled a more GDPR averted version of Cookie Control, and we hope to be able to finish and release it in January.

For now, you can do what you are asking for, by using these too callbacks:
CookieControl.setConsent(false);
CookieControl.popUp();

You could add these in a function and call it on a button click as you say.

I hope this helps.

KInd regards,
Gerasimos

Adam Helman

Dec 8, 2017, 7:42:44 AM12/8/17
to Cookie Control Support
Thanks - looking forward to that then :-)

... and thanks re the calls - will use those in the interim

Thanks again