Unable to launch CT

Stas Oskin

Jan 12, 2010, 8:49:19 AM1/12/10
to contr...@googlegroups.com
Hi.

I'm trying to launch CT 3.4.9, installed via jar. I have pointed it to Sun JDK 1.6 installed in system.

When running bin/ctier-start.sh, the web interface is unavailable, and I see the following error in logs:

2010-01-12 13:39:09.855::INFO:  Logging to STDERR via org.mortbay.log.StdErrLog
2010-01-12 13:39:10.460::WARN:  Config error at <Call name="open"/>
2010-01-12 13:39:10.460::WARN:  Config error at <Call name="addConnector"><Arg>
          <New class="org.mortbay.jetty.nio.SelectChannelConnector"><Set name="port"><SystemProperty name="jetty.port" default="8080"/></Set><Set name="maxIdleTime">30000</Set><Set name="Acceptors">2</Set><Set name="statsOn">false</Set><Set name="confidentialPort">8443</Set><Set name="headerBufferSize">8192</Set><Set name="lowResourcesConnections">5000</Set><Set name="lowResourcesMaxIdleTime">5000</Set><Call name="open"/></New>
      </Arg></Call>
2010-01-12 13:39:10.461::WARN:  EXCEPTION
        at org.mortbay.xml.XmlConfiguration.call(XmlConfiguration.java:542)
        at org.mortbay.xml.XmlConfiguration.configure(XmlConfiguration.java:252)
        at org.mortbay.xml.XmlConfiguration.newObj(XmlConfiguration.java:626)
        at org.mortbay.xml.XmlConfiguration.itemValue(XmlConfiguration.java:915)
        at org.mortbay.xml.XmlConfiguration.value(XmlConfiguration.java:837)
        at org.mortbay.xml.XmlConfiguration.call(XmlConfiguration.java:523)
        at org.mortbay.xml.XmlConfiguration.configure(XmlConfiguration.java:252)
        at org.mortbay.xml.XmlConfiguration.configure(XmlConfiguration.java:214)
        at org.mortbay.xml.XmlConfiguration.main(XmlConfiguration.java:974)
        at org.mortbay.start.Main.invokeMain(Main.java:194)
        at org.mortbay.start.Main.start(Main.java:523)
        at org.mortbay.start.Main.main(Main.java:119)
Caused by: java.net.BindException: Address already in use
        at sun.nio.ch.Net.bind(Native Method)
        at sun.nio.ch.ServerSocketChannelImpl.bind(ServerSocketChannelImpl.java:119)
        at sun.nio.ch.ServerSocketAdaptor.bind(ServerSocketAdaptor.java:59)
        at org.mortbay.jetty.nio.SelectChannelConnector.open(SelectChannelConnector.java:216)
        ... 20 more
2010-01-12 13:39:10.463::WARN:  Nested in java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException:
[...]

Any idea?

Thanks.

Alex-SF

Jan 12, 2010, 9:49:19 AM1/12/10
to ControlTier
Looks like there might be a previous installation of ControlTier
running. Make sure the java process has been shutdown.
Thanks

> [...]

>         at
> org.mortbay.xml.XmlConfiguration.newObj(XmlConfiguration.java:626)
>         at
> org.mortbay.xml.XmlConfiguration.itemValue(XmlConfiguration.java:915)
>         at org.mortbay.xml.XmlConfiguration.value(XmlConfiguration.java:837)
>         at org.mortbay.xml.XmlConfiguration.call(XmlConfiguration.java:523)
>         at
> org.mortbay.xml.XmlConfiguration.configure(XmlConfiguration.java:252)
>         at
> org.mortbay.xml.XmlConfiguration.configure(XmlConfiguration.java:214)
>         at org.mortbay.xml.XmlConfiguration.main(XmlConfiguration.java:974)
>         at
> sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:3 9)
>         at

> sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImp l.java:25)

Moses Lei

Jan 12, 2010, 12:11:08 PM1/12/10
to contr...@googlegroups.com
It might not be ControlTier... it could be any Tomcat or JBoss thing that defaults to 8080 just like our jetty instance. Make sure everything is shut down on 8080 and 1055. Or you could change the ports during installation so there's no conflict.

Moses

--
Moses Lei
[ Professional Services | DTO Solutions, Inc. ]

Stas Oskin

Jan 12, 2010, 12:45:26 PM1/12/10
to contr...@googlegroups.com
Hi.

I removed CT and restarted the machine, so there was no instance running for sure.

The 8080 port is taken by another process, but I specified another port in installation wizard.

Regards.

Stas Oskin

Jan 12, 2010, 12:45:36 PM1/12/10
to contr...@googlegroups.com
Hi.

I do have the port 8080 taken by another process, but I made sure to set a unique HTTP port (9999) in wizard. Is there anything else that needs to be changed?

Also, I don't have any Tomcat / Jetty / JBoss running on this machine.

Thanks again.

Moses Lei

Jan 12, 2010, 12:56:34 PM1/12/10
to contr...@googlegroups.com
That's odd... the error message seems to indicate that jetty is trying to start on 8080. This could be a bug in the installer. Can you check the file $CTIER_ROOT/pkgs/jetty-6.1.14/etc/jetty.xml and see what port is set near line 49?

Alex/Greg, how does setting the port work in the installer-- is it changed directly in this file or is it set in a script somewhere?

Moses

--
Moses Lei
[ Professional Services | DTO Solutions, Inc. ]
[ mobile: 703.901.5969 | e-mail: ml...@dtosolutions.com | aim/gtalk: ml...@controltier.com | yahoo: moseslei ]

Stas Oskin

Jan 12, 2010, 1:05:01 PM1/12/10
to contr...@googlegroups.com
Hi.

It was indeed on 8080 - changing it to 9999 made the trick.
Also, the username and password were still the default ones (default/default), and not what I set in the settings screen.
In short, the settings screen seems to be ignored.

A bit unrelated question (and one I'm sure you heard already) - what is the best document/page in CT wiki to begin, when studying the solution?

Thanks again!

Alex-SF

Jan 12, 2010, 1:09:09 PM1/12/10
to ControlTier
Perhaps there is a difference between the GUI and Zip installer though
I didn't expect that. I'll try and reproduce that.

On Jan 12, 9:56 am, Moses Lei <m...@dtosolutions.com> wrote:
> That's odd... the error message seems to indicate that jetty is trying to
> start on 8080. This could be a bug in the installer. Can you check the file
> $CTIER_ROOT/pkgs/jetty-6.1.14/etc/jetty.xml and see what port is set near
> line 49?
>
> Alex/Greg, how does setting the port work in the installer-- is it changed
> directly in this file or is it set in a script somewhere?
>
> Moses
>
> --
> Moses Lei
> [ Professional Services | DTO Solutions, Inc. ]

> [ mobile: 703.901.5969 | e-mail: m...@dtosolutions.com | aim/gtalk:
> m...@controltier.com | yahoo: moseslei ]

> On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 9:45 AM, Stas Oskin <stas.os...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi.
>
> > I do have the port 8080 taken by another process, but I made sure to set a
> > unique HTTP port (9999) in wizard. Is there anything else that needs to be
> > changed?
>
> > Also, I don't have any Tomcat / Jetty / JBoss running on this machine.
>
> > Thanks again.
>

> > On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 7:11 PM, Moses Lei <m...@dtosolutions.com> wrote:
>
> >> It might not be ControlTier... it could be any Tomcat or JBoss thing that
> >> defaults to 8080 just like our jetty instance. Make sure everything is shut
> >> down on 8080 and 1055. Or you could change the ports during installation so
> >> there's no conflict.
>
> >> Moses
>
> >> --
> >> Moses Lei
> >> [ Professional Services | DTO Solutions, Inc. ]

> >> [ mobile: 703.901.5969 | e-mail: m...@dtosolutions.com | aim/gtalk:
> >> m...@controltier.com | yahoo: moseslei ]

Alex-SF

Jan 12, 2010, 1:10:18 PM1/12/10
to ControlTier
Hi Stas,
If you are new to ControlTier take a look at http://controltier.org/wiki/Getting_Started

On Jan 12, 10:05 am, Stas Oskin <stas.os...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi.
>

> It was indeed on 8080 - changing it to 9999 made the trick.
> Also, the username and password were still the default ones
> (default/default), and not what I set in the settings screen.
> In short, the settings screen seems to be ignored.
>
> A bit unrelated question (and one I'm sure you heard already) - what is the
> best document/page in CT wiki to begin, when studying the solution?
>
> Thanks again!
>

> On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 7:56 PM, Moses Lei <m...@dtosolutions.com> wrote:
> > That's odd... the error message seems to indicate that jetty is trying to
> > start on 8080. This could be a bug in the installer. Can you check the file
> > $CTIER_ROOT/pkgs/jetty-6.1.14/etc/jetty.xml and see what port is set near
> > line 49?
>
> > Alex/Greg, how does setting the port work in the installer-- is it changed
> > directly in this file or is it set in a script somewhere?
>
> > Moses
>
> > --
> > Moses Lei
> > [ Professional Services | DTO Solutions, Inc. ]

> > [ mobile: 703.901.5969 | e-mail: m...@dtosolutions.com | aim/gtalk:
> > m...@controltier.com | yahoo: moseslei ]

> > On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 9:45 AM, Stas Oskin <stas.os...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Hi.
>
> >> I do have the port 8080 taken by another process, but I made sure to set a
> >> unique HTTP port (9999) in wizard. Is there anything else that needs to be
> >> changed?
>
> >> Also, I don't have any Tomcat / Jetty / JBoss running on this machine.
>
> >> Thanks again.

Stas Oskin

Jan 12, 2010, 1:27:56 PM1/12/10
to contr...@googlegroups.com
Hi.

Thanks, i seen it already, but got puzzled a bit by the command line commands.

Are they really required, or it's possible just to use the Web UI?

Regards.

Stas Oskin

Jan 12, 2010, 3:05:26 PM1/12/10
to contr...@googlegroups.com
Hi again.

Trying to run ctl-create depot, fails the authentication because it still tries to access port 8080:

ctl-depot -a create -p demo

com.controltier.ctl.cli.depotsetup.DepotSetupException: exception occurred in /home/deploy/ctier/pkgs/ctl-1.4.9/bin/commander-depotsetup.xml: Error making server request to http://testserver:8080/itnav: Error occurred while trying to authenticate to server:

Any idea what other files I need to change, to take into account the port number?

Thanks.

Moses Lei

Jan 12, 2010, 3:12:36 PM1/12/10
to contr...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately the installer peppers references to the server URL all over the place; an easier way to solve this issue might be to fix whatever's wrong with it and rerun it with your changed options.

I'm going to try running the jar installer with some options changed and see what happens...

Moses

--
Moses Lei
[ Professional Services | DTO Solutions, Inc. ]
[ mobile: 703.901.5969 | e-mail: ml...@dtosolutions.com | aim/gtalk: ml...@controltier.com | yahoo: moseslei ]

Stas Oskin

Jan 12, 2010, 3:13:41 PM1/12/10
to contr...@googlegroups.com
Hi.

Meanwhile, is it possible to use another distribution, maybe the ZIP one?

Thanks.

Stas Oskin

Jan 12, 2010, 5:14:59 PM1/12/10
to contr...@googlegroups.com
Hi again.

Is there anything I can do with CT meanwhile, until the issue is resolved?

Thanks again.

Moses Lei

Jan 12, 2010, 5:50:08 PM1/12/10
to contr...@googlegroups.com
Yes most people use the zip installer and it usually works pretty well... the relevant options to the installer for port settings are:

server.reportcenter.port=1055
server.jetty.port=8080
server.jackrabbit.rmi.port=1099

Add these as -D options to the end of the installer command, e.g.:

sh ./install.sh -Dserver.hostname=ctier.example.com -Dserver.jetty.port=9999
General instructions, which, unfortunately, do not include port setting instructions: http://controltier.org/wiki/ZIP_installer

Moses