Word Association Tool

Steven Wilson-Beales

Jul 14, 2015, 5:49:33 AM7/14/15
to content...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,
Do you have a suggestion for a good word association tool out there? I'm trying to conjure some product names and think this would be useful. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
steve

Amy Thibodeau

Jul 14, 2015, 5:53:01 AM7/14/15
to content...@googlegroups.com
Hi Steve,

This isn't the most exciting answer, but I used thesaurus.com. I like that when I look up the word it gives an expansive set of synonyms and if I click on one, it takes me off on another branch towards words that are similar in concept but different enough to spark new ideas. You can also star words that you want to explore later.

Hope that helps!

Amy

Melissa Eggleston

Jul 14, 2015, 6:26:18 AM7/14/15
to content...@googlegroups.com
This tool is cool - http://www.visuwords.com/ - but, like Amy, I find myself at thesuarus.com most often.

Best, Melissa

Melissa Eggleston

Collaborating with other UX experts at the UX-Shop

Helping people create user-friendly websites with memorable content

Gabe Sopocy

Jul 14, 2015, 10:17:22 AM7/14/15
to content...@googlegroups.com
Hi Steve,

As a (former) brand copywriter, I had a few regular sources for this. I still use them when I freelance. One of my favorite sources is an idiom dictionary, which helps to come up with commonly-used phrases that include the relevant words.

A regular thesaurus is great, but I find that the Writer's Thesaurus usually does a better job with idea association and phrases.

I also use onelook.com, a site that dredges the Internet for related words, phrases and ideas. Using a combination of these tools, I've had a lot of success with naming projects.

Hope this helps.

-Gabe.

Susan Bond

Jul 14, 2015, 1:57:05 PM7/14/15
to content...@googlegroups.com
I love Descriptionary: A Thematic Dictionary.

I bought a paperback copy back in 2001 or so, but I see it's now online as a free e-book download:
http://www.ebook3000.com/Descriptionary--A-Thematic-Dictionary_36422.html

Susan Bond
Senior Copywriter & Content Strategist
Direct Focus Marketing & Communications

Lauren

Jul 15, 2015, 1:14:50 AM7/15/15
to content...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I've used rhymezone.com. If you use their desktop site, you can enter a word and then select "find related" words from the dropdown. I've had a lot of success with this--good luck!

Lauren