Use of Logos/Marks in Product Listings

Eddie VanArsdall

Apr 17, 2014, 10:33:30 AM4/17/14
to content...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

If you belong to the LinkedIn Content Strategy group, please forgive me for re-posting my question here, but it's time sensitive.

I'm looking for research studies that address how logo usage in product listings affects the user experience. For example, does it enhance the experience? Does it detract from the experience?

Context: A client has an in-house rule that excludes logos in product listings. Considering that a search can return hundreds of results, we're trying to make a case for including the brand logo along with the brand name.

I have found good advice on reputable UX design sites and in UX books, but my client is a researcher and is more likely to be convinced by research study findings. I welcome any recommendations for resources from this group.

Best to all,
Eddie

Milan Davidović

Apr 17, 2014, 10:42:02 AM4/17/14
to content...@googlegroups.com
Eddie or anyone else: what specifically might be measured in such
research? Would it be more likely qualitative? Or could quantitative
measures play a role?

(also, where would such research be published?)

--Milan Davidović

Sent from my Commercial Visible 6

Eddie VanArsdall

Apr 17, 2014, 11:17:19 AM4/17/14
to content...@googlegroups.com
Hi Milan,

The research is simply trying to determine the effectiveness of including the logo in search results as opposed to not including it. We're trying to make a case for inclusion.

The result could be quantitative. The presence of the logo enables a searcher to more easily identify returned instances of the brand.

The result could also be qualitative. The presence of the logo enhances brand promotion, and that's a priority for the client.

As to where relevant research is published, I wish I knew. I've been looking mostly on marketing research sites, and I'm not finding exactly what I need.

Eddie

Eddie

Eddie VanArsdall

Milan Davidović

Apr 17, 2014, 11:24:48 AM4/17/14
to content...@googlegroups.com
Thanks. The quant part seems straightforward enough to test. How would
you expect the qual part to be tested? Questionnaire?

--Milan Davidović

Sent from my Commercial Visible 6

Eddie VanArsdall

Apr 17, 2014, 11:54:04 AM4/17/14
to content...@googlegroups.com
We haven't gotten that far yet. I'm just looking for examples right now.

Carlos Cordero

Apr 17, 2014, 5:49:43 PM4/17/14
to content...@googlegroups.com
Hi Eddie,

If there is an authority that I trust when it comes to UX research that is Nielsen Norman Group. NNG are the guys who defined the field of HCI and UX, going back to the 80s (first real notebook - the one that went to space in the Shuttle. them).   They have a report on Search http://www.nngroup.com/reports/ecommerce-ux-search-including-faceted-search/

The table of contents does not mention "use of logos" but that is somewhat specific anyway.

I also like Google's resource thinkwithgoogle.com  It is full of research paid for by google.

I hope it helps,

Carlos Cordero
Room9

Eddie VanArsdall

Apr 18, 2014, 5:58:08 AM4/18/14
to content...@googlegroups.com
Hi Carlos,

Thank you for the recommendation. I'm a user of the N/N site, too. I looked there for some research on my topic yesterday but was unable to find anything.

At this point, we've requested that our research group try and dig up something.

Eddie

Eddie VanArsdall