The Creating Subject, the Brouwer-Kripke Schema, and infinite proofs

Mark van Atten

May 2, 2018, 9:01:53 AM5/2/18
to construc...@googlegroups.com
A preprint of this paper is now available at
https://arxiv.org/abs/1805.00404

Abstract:

Kripke's Schema (better the Brouwer-Kripke Schema) and the Kreisel-Troelstra
Theory of the Creating Subject were introduced around the same time for the
same purpose, that of analysing Brouwer's 'Creating Subject arguments'; other
applications have been found since. I first look in detail at a representative
choice of Brouwer's arguments. Then I discuss the original use of the Schema
and the Theory, their justification from a Brouwerian perspective, and
instances of the Schema that can in fact be found in Brouwer's own writings.
Finally, I defend the Schema and the Theory against a number of objections that
have been made.

Best wishes,
Mark.