Best place to buy LEDs

Matt Pattison

Jun 23, 2017, 8:09:49 AM6/23/17
to Connected Community HackerSpace
I am doing some last minute preparations for my lantern for the Belgrave Lantern Parade this Saturday: https://www.facebook.com/belgravelanterns/

Where is the best place to buy LEDs cheaply (in store)?

I'd like some RGB LEDs and some bright white ones, but not too power-hungry that they'll drain my AA batteries (no more than 1W per LED). The objective is to create diffuse light over a wide viewing angle, not a narrow beam like in a torch. Due to the time constraints I have to shop in-store, not online.

I'm going to a couple of Jaycar stores tomorrow to check out what they've got.

Thanks,
Matt

tubular

Jun 23, 2017, 5:45:26 PM6/23/17
to Connected Community HackerSpace
If you go over to Mulgrave you've got the choice of Altronics, Jaycar and also Rockby.

Rockby have packs of the auto colour sequencing leds, 20 for $5.  Or the normal 5mm RGB leds around $2 each, depending on how many.   They shut earlier than the others though

I'm not sure whether you're a CCHS member, but if you are then let me know and I'll email CCHS discount instructions

Luke Weston

Jun 23, 2017, 10:32:30 PM6/23/17
to connected-commu...@googlegroups.com
Retail stores such as Jaycar are intrinsically expensive.

"not too power-hungry that they'll drain my AA batteries (no more than
1W per LED)"

Well, that's not really an intrinsic property of the LED, it depends
how much current you're driving them with and the efficiency of
whatever you're driving them with?

By the way, are you looking for surface mount in what package, or 5mm
round, 3mm or what?

If you must go to a local retailer whilst still getting them cheap,
Rockby is the best bet.

You can have something that is cheap, something that is very bright at
a given current and otherwise meets your device specifications, and
something that is available local - you can probably only optimise
two.
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/connected-community-hackerspace/237c00c9-506a-4fb2-8758-be7bcd6ec611%40googlegroups.com.

Matt Pattison

Aug 10, 2017, 3:13:42 AM8/10/17
to Connected Community HackerSpace
Thanks for the advice on this. I got some bright green LEDs and RGB LEDs from Jaycar, as Rockby was closed (although I will use Rockby in future if I need to use a bricks-and-mortar store, thanks for the tip). However in the end I made two small lanterns which were lit up by two Solder Rocket Pin kits (similar to this) that my kids soldered together at the Docklands Mini Make Day a few months back (see here). They really love those rockets :)

John Spencer

Aug 10, 2017, 3:17:10 AM8/10/17
to Connected Community HackerSpace
Hi Matt

I should mention that if you want more rocket kits you can buy them from CCHS in person or online from Tronixlabs (https://tronixlabs.com.au/kits/solder-rocket-learn-to-solder-kit-triple-pack-tronixlabs-australia/)

John

Matt Pattison